3 clutch questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3 clutch questions

I keep lurking, reading and searching but I'm still a noob to the site and to diesels, so apologies if this sounds ignorant.

I have a problem with my clutch or something in the clutch linkage. 2000 4x4 w/ 6spd ZF, 110,000 miles, all stock. I have seen mention about how a bad clutch, pilot or throwout bearing can lead to too much input shaft play on the transmission and that can lead to very bad and expensive things. Plus my clutch pedal makes this sound (wife says it sounds like an owl) when I have driven it for a while, say an hour or two. The pedal or the linkage seems to start to bind up on something like it doesn't have enough lube. The longer I drive it, the worse it gets. No chatter or slippage though.

Anyway, I am getting paranoid about this after reading how expensive these transmissions can be to fix or rebuild and I just don't have the money for that. So my three questions are:

1 - Does the binding/jerky pedal sound like a common symptom of a certain problem?

2 - If I determine that I do need a clutch, are there any other parts that I should replace at the same time for good measure? Shift fork? Master & slave cylinders? I will change to a solid flywheel if it needs a clutch.

3 - If I go with a Luk clutch kit and I use one of their solid flywheels, will I be able to use a different brand of clutch with it in the future? Like a Valair or Southbend?

Thanks guys, love this forum. I learn something new here everyday...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 10:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

To me it sounds like a release/throw out bearing. Slowly seizing or the face has separated like mine did.

A must do is the updated Ford clutch fork, the factory early style bent on mine in fall of 10' (then my ValAir throw out bearing failed fall 11'), lol. I replaced the factory hydraulic clutch system when I did the clutch in 10' just for reassurance.

As far as the flywheel, if it's a Superduty/99'+, it has the factory 1-piece flywheel. If it's not heat damaged or too worn, you can have it resurfaced for cheap and use it again. Should be able to use any compatible clutch system you want.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Id say just replace the clutch. Get a southbend kit and it comes with everything you need. I went ahead and got their flywheel too but you can have yours resurfaced if its in decent shape. They also use a kevlar pilot bushing instead of a bearing. MUCH better than that stupid bearing. It saves the pilot shaft in the event of something going wrong.

Ive used Luk's on our pre-99's but havnt had good luck with them for the 99+. My southbend pulls about 20k lbs every day and ive got about 80000 miles on it. Thats the longest ive ever been able to keep a clutch in.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 PM

I haven't heard good things about the kevlar pilot bushing. The hot ticket is an oversize needle bearing insert.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have also read quite a few negative things about the kevlar bushing and that a sealed, double roller bearing is the way to go. One of the members here, can't remember who right now, posted a link for this bearing: 5203-2RS Bearing Angular Contact Sealed 17x40x17.5 Ball Bearings Has anyone tried using it or something similar in their truck? If so, can they post their thoughts or experiences?

I was thinking that if the Kevlar wore out and got "loose" that it would let the shaft wobble around a bit, but if the roller bearing wore out it could seize up and that might be a whole lot worse. Like spinning a wheel bearing on a spindle, but with your tranny input shaft. Pushing the clutch in wouldn't disengage the engine from the tranny, the bearing would have to spin on the shaft or in the flywheel. Slow death from wobble or cardiac arrest from seizure?

But I have never changed a clutch or had a transmission out of a truck before, so I may be way off and please tell me so if I am. I am here to learn! Do other engine/transmission setups use a roller bearing instead of a bushing like ours? If they do, does anyone know if there is a particular brand of bearing that is "best"?

I don't mind trying something new and I try to think outside the box but I like to make educated decisions and reliability comes first for me. I don't break down often, but when I do, it's in the middle of the night, with a trailer of some kind and in the middle of nowhere. After one or two of those I got real motivated to strive for reliability...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.