Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Dual EGT's

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jarrod B 
#1 ·
So, while installing my pyrometer in the left exhaust manifold this past weekend I got to thinking. Would it be necessary or good to put another probe in the other side as well and wire a switch between the probes and the gauge to be able to see how each bank is doing? My thinking here is we are only monitoring half the engine with a probe in just the left side. Could there ever be, theoretically, a situation whereas one bank could run hotter than the other? Another probe and wiring is about $60 and I figured why not, unless someone here can chime in as to why not. Overkill? :dunno:

#2 ·
We have done it in big rigs with V8's. Its good for figuring out which bank has a dead cylinder or stuck open injector.

#3 ·
Not a bad idea. Like Ryan said, big trucks with V8 CAT and Detroit two strokes will usually run doubles...I may eventually, or actually run two gauges...

#5 ·
I always thought that would be a good idea to run twin gauges for each bank. the high dollar drag cars will run 8 of them in each primary. My buddies twin turbo SBF Hatchback Stang has small egt probes in each primary, easy to trace down an injector issue, or just a tuning issue in general and add more fuel to one injector to keep from burning a hole in a piston or installing a window in the block :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.