Replaceing tie rod end at Pitman Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 08:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replaceing tie rod end at Pitman Question

When replaceing the tire rod end at the pitman arm is there a special tool such as a ball joint press required to get the new TRE pressed back up in the pitman arm?

I had fits last night and walked away before I broke or shot something....

Thanks RB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ive used a rubber mallet to get mine off....just takes some umm, persuasion
Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 AM

I got the thing out using a 2lb hammer, a few good whacks and it let loose, the other end was easy to drop out, the pitman side was tougher.

I tired to re-install the new drag link assembled section, and could not get the pitman side TRE up thru the pitman arm using more good solid whacks,,, I ever heated the end of the arm up nicely, and still no go. My largest c-clamp would not allow to use oversize sockets as a press.
I had to leave it alone before I broke sumthin'......beer time then.... I'll stop by the local O'riellys after work and see about renting a press I guess,,,, I did not think the fit was that tight.

thanks RB
Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry this is a week later, but I just replaced my tie-rod end at the pitman arm on Sunday. No issues... used a pickle fork to remove the old one and the new one slid right in. Tightened up the nut, put the pin in and away I went. Huge difference in the steering.

Next up is to tighten up the steering a bit in the steering box.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:24 AM

Thanks,,, I also forgot to add that I did in fact get the pitman side TRE done.... USEr ERROR,,,,,,,,,Duhh...

But now the nut that holds the arm on will not stay tight. It comes loose and I get play in the wheel again. I am wondering if the splines on the steering box shaft is work too badly, or if perhaps a big friggin' lock washer will hold it tight. I had the pitman arm changed when I put on a 4.5 inch lift.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The nut that holds the tie rod TO the pitman arm is coming loose? Did you not install the castle nut and cotter pin?? The cotter pin is critical.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 AM

I was refering to the pitman arm to the steering box nut. The TRE is installed corrrectly.

The pitman arm connection to the box will nut stay tight, I have used an impact with swivel joint, and then a box end wrench with cheater bar,, Still comes loose enough for a ltitle play in the pitman. The steering box shaft itself seems to be nice and tight, it's the large end of the pitman that has play. The pitman arm itself may have spline issues ? I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.