Which oil and why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which oil and why?

Hey guys, l am looking for advise with facts as to what oil you run in your PSD, I have run royal purple in all my other vehicles to this point, but I want to make sure that I am not missing something that would be better for my 7.3, thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 AM

7.3 motor oil

i use motorcraft 15-40 in my truck only because it has had it since new and i like to keep using the same oil the previous owners used my truck now has 170000 on it now doesnt leak oil and still runs runs like new
Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerman14 View Post
Hey guys, l am looking for advise with facts as to what oil you run in your PSD, I have run royal purple in all my other vehicles to this point, but I want to make sure that I am not missing something that would be better for my 7.3, thanks....
I have rotella T5 10w-30 in mine for the winter to help with cold starts, I usually run any name brand (Rotella, Delo, Delvac, Premium Blue, etc) 15w-40 in the spring through fall. Some people run 5w-40s year round but that is a little spendy to me. The 7.3, even though it is a HEUI, isn't THAT bad on oil. Any good name brand will serve you fine, the name on the bottle isn't as important as the fact it gets serviced on a regular basis and it is a C-rated oil (CI or CJ-4).
Old 01-31-2012, 05:18 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Amsoil because I'm a dealer
Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 AM

Hi Guys,I just wanted to thank everyone for there post in this forum.I have been having problems w /cold starts up hear in Maine,So I did a lot of reading & decided to change the weight of my oil I went to Rotella 5w40 & my truck is like a new truck (2001 F350 CCLB 7.3L w /118,000 Miles)I went out today & it was 18* out cycled the truck twice & it started right up when B4 I would have had to plug it in for 3-4hrs & still struggle to start . So thanks Guys for all your impute !
Old 02-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA-BAR View Post
Hi Guys,I just wanted to thank everyone for there post in this forum.I have been having problems w /cold starts up hear in Maine,So I did a lot of reading & decided to change the weight of my oil I went to Rotella 5w40 & my truck is like a new truck (2001 F350 CCLB 7.3L w /118,000 Miles)I went out today & it was 18* out cycled the truck twice & it started right up when B4 I would have had to plug it in for 3-4hrs & still struggle to start . So thanks Guys for all your impute !
Where in ME are ya?

Just a couple things man, don't "cycle" the plugs... they stay on even after the light went out, up to a couple minutes. Cycling them does not help.

I would look into checking your glow plugs and GPR out if it is hard starting at all, as well as checking your batteries and the connections for corrosion/tightness.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:50 AM

I'm in Mechanic Falls which is between Auburn & Oxford . Cool thanks for the Cycle tip , I usualy wait 2 min B4 cycling but now I dont have to , no hard starting @ all & have 2 Brand new Batts .

Im going to be putting some $ into the truck this spring not sure what I should do . I've got about 2000$ to spend not sure if I should go w/lift kit or engine mods . I've got the basics Air cleaner Mod , Gauges . What do you guys think ? Prob should start a new thread but I'll throw it out there.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Lubrication Addict

KA-BAR: What do you mean by Air Cleaner Mod? Do You mean the Zoodad?

My first order of business would be a Very Good Filtering Cold Air Intake and 4" Turbo Back Exhaust...
1. AIS or Napa 6637/Tymar Air Intake

Oil--->Any 15W-40 will work fine as long as you live in a warm climate yr round... You have other choices as stated above.... either a 5W-40/10W-30 HDEO will work yr round with stellar results... You have made a good choice with the 5W-40... Some have gone with Mobil 0W-40 in severe cold climates... UOA always come back looking outstanding... Very Robust Oil...

If you have plans on keeping this truck for many yrs to come? Invest in a coolant filter... and ELC coolant if your truck is a 00-03

Last edited by SyN; 02-04-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Shut Your MOuth!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA-BAR View Post
I'm in Mechanic Falls which is between Auburn & Oxford . Cool thanks for the Cycle tip , I usualy wait 2 min B4 cycling but now I dont have to , no hard starting @ all & have 2 Brand new Batts .

Im going to be putting some $ into the truck this spring not sure what I should do . I've got about 2000$ to spend not sure if I should go w/lift kit or engine mods . I've got the basics Air cleaner Mod , Gauges . What do you guys think ? Prob should start a new thread but I'll throw it out there.
Cool beans, I'm about 30 minutes south of you. (Bridgton area.)

IMHO, engine mods first, unless you do lots of off-roading lift kits are purely cosmetic.

An on the topic of oil... I run full synthetic (Amsoil) 15-40 year round, and have NO cold-starting issues.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm in MA and use rotella t6 year round. My winter start ups are just like my summer start ups. Night and day difference running the t6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.