Edge Insight CTS vs. transmission temp guage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge Insight CTS vs. transmission temp guage

My tranny is heating up to warning level on the stock guage (even to the red when towing uphill) so I need to get a way to monitor transmission temperature. I know the Edge Insight will monitor the transmission temp, but since there is no trans probe, I assume it's getting the temp from the OBD port. The traditional analog guage has a probe to install in the transmission. Is one more accurate than the other? I assume the probe is the most accurate, but not sure. Has anyone tried both side by side to compare?

Bottom line is I'm leaning toward the Edge Insight CTS monitor since it seemingly can do so much more than just 3 or 4 pillar-mount guages, so I wanted to know if I can trust the trans temp on the Edge unit.

My plan is to monitor transmission temperatures to make sure it is indeed overheating, then install the 6.0 trans cooler. (I'll probably install the 6.0 cooler either way. It's expensive, so just saving up the money. I know, I know it's cheaper than a transmission rebuild.)

Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Bump...
Any insight (pun intended) on this issue....
Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 PM

I have the Edge Diesel CTS and you are correct that it's getting the transmission temperature from the OBDII port and the factory installed temp sensor. I don't have a separate gauge other than the one installed in the dash, which I think started on the 2002 models. Last summer while pulling a 30' camper trailer behind my F350 going to the Grand Canyon and southern Utah in temperatures of 100F and higher, I had some issues with my transmission running a little hot due to many steep mountain passes I had to drive through. I did notice that the temperature on the CTS correlated to the gauge in the dash. One time, the gauge in the dash went to the edge of the red zone and the CTS said the temperature was around 250F degrees. I pulled over and let the tranny cool for a while.

I think the CTS temp is accurate, but I'm no expert and didn't have a temp gun to take a reading. What I noticed is that the normal range for the transmission temperature is 100F added to the ambient outside temperature. If its 80F outside, transmission temp runs about 180F (this is only while towing a heavy load like a camper). It runs much cooler when just driving the truck with no load, usually never above 140F.

In my opinion, I like the Edge CTS and you can't beat all the options you have for monitoring your truck's systems. On top of that, I believe it's a pretty good tuner.

I also upgraded my PS cooler, but not with the 6.0 version. I have a pretty good sized one that I relocated in the center of my grill. Can't even tell its there because it is black and nearly invisible against the radiator background. It is about 12 inches square and about 1 to 1.5 inches thick. Huge help in keeping tranny temps down while pulling the camper.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
edge insight, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.