HELP! No IP lights, running lights or tail lights. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation HELP! No IP lights, running lights or tail lights.

Hi All!

I own a 2002 SD 7.3 Crew. It has a package from Western Hauler that is mostly cosmetic, but includes lighted running boards, lighted headache rack, Firestone air suspension and a tow brake controller. I got in the truck yesterday and have lost power to a bunch of lights.

I have no instrument panel lights. Radio, overhead computer, interior cab lights all still work. Exterior roof cab, marker lights, running board lights and tail lights are out. I found this thread that sounds like the exact problem I'm having, but it's for a 2006.

I need to know if the information for the '06 is the same for my '02. If not, can someone please point me in the right direction? I'm great with mechanicals, electronics confuse the heck out of me.

On a possibly related note, when I shift into reverse, the tape player will cut out for about 10 seconds. This started about 3-4 weeks ago.

Thanks!
Steve

P.S. Whoops, I forgot to mention that the "lights on" chime reminder does not work either. Also, when the headlights are on, the radio and computer lights don't dim. It's like they don't recognize the headlights are on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Okay, I followed the advice in this thread. Evidently fuse 2.17 is the same for '02 and '06 models. I disconnected the smaller of the two connectors from the rear of the headlamp switch and the fuse held. According to what I have read, this isolates the problem to the instrument cluster.

I am at a loss as to what to do next. Where can I find out what is connected to this part of the circuit? I know that the IP lights are there, the "lights are on" reminder chime and the IP dimmer. (the feature that automatically dims the cluster lights when the headlights are on) Is there anything else I should be looking for? Also, does anyone have a good idea on how to check these to see where the short is?

I really do need some sort of help, I'm surprised I've gotten this far

Steve
Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm at a loss here. The most common electrical issue with these trucks is that the GEM will go bad and cause all of the electronics to go wacky like yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.