How critical to change the "top end" oil - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How critical to change the "top end" oil

I just watched a video on PowerStrokehelp.com and learned how to change the oil in the top of the engine.

How important is this? The oil to this part of the engine is fed from the bottom just like all other parts of the engine, and this was mentioned in the video, but it also seems that the oil doesn't circulate back down quite as much once it makes it there to feed the injectors, etc.

Would it be advisable to change this oil every so often or just keep changing the regular engine oil as normal and not even worry about it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 AM
Govy Magnet

You are going to get a few opinions on changing the top and oil, but I know the average idea is to just leave it. It does get cycled and it will be fine to leave it. If it makes you feel better then go ahead, no biggy either way.
-Phil
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by E'sStrokr01 View Post
I just watched a video on PowerStrokehelp.com and learned how to change the oil in the top of the engine.

How important is this? The oil to this part of the engine is fed from the bottom just like all other parts of the engine, and this was mentioned in the video, but it also seems that the oil doesn't circulate back down quite as much once it makes it there to feed the injectors, etc.

Would it be advisable to change this oil every so often or just keep changing the regular engine oil as normal and not even worry about it?

Thanks
There is a thread floating around somewhere about a guy who sent a pair of sample off to blackstone for a UOA of his crankcase oil and his top oil...blackstone couldn't tell the difference. IMHO you don't need to change the top end oil.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

As stated, it's not a separate oil reservoir. The oil gets pushed up into there so it can be pressurized for the injector event. Once that occurs, it's back to the pan at some point to get filtered by the oil filter and then back into action.

It's your call whether you want to take the extra time to do it. FWIW, there are varying opinions on the value of things seen on Powerstrokehelp.com.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think that whole "procedure" and the theory behind it, is the #1 reason So Many people think Bill Hewitt is

There is simply No Reason it ever needs changing as that oil is constantly being supplied & recycled with the crankcase oil......
Old 01-26-2012, 11:46 AM

I know in the video he shows how thick the oil is but when I did mine I couldn't even tell the difference from the oil in the pan so IMO its messy and a pain that's not worth it
Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I change it because I don't like my oil getting black right away after change
It stays golden for a couple thousand miles that way on my truck
Old 01-26-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdryv View Post
I change it because I don't like my oil getting black right away after change
It stays golden for a couple thousand miles that way on my truck
I kinda feel the same, also the same reason i drain my converter and blow out the oil cooler and lines at transmission fluid changes. When I change it, I wanna change as much as i possibly can, so i pull an oil rail plug on both sides and suck it all out then refill the rails and the HPOP reservoir.

Last edited by GAS; 01-26-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Plus i only put enough miles on my truck to change oil once a year, pretty sad eh?
Old 01-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Premium Member

I don't do it, nor do I ever plan on doing it and so far I have over 250k miles on my original injectors and HPOP. Don't see much reason in it myself since it gets cycled through. I bet that there is almost as much oil left over in the pan after draining it since my driveway is on a slight hill. One quart out of 16(ish) isn't that big of a deal to me as long as it is getting changed regularly. Maybe if the truck sat for a long time or something, but not under normal use/service. Just my $.02
-Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.