Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Transfer case swap.

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  darkesttemplar 
#1 ·
I got a 99 7.3 4x4 with a 6 speed. I am looking to swap the electronic transfer case to a manual one. Honestly I don't know why it didn't come from the factory like that. Either way if someone has does this already any tips would be great. Also if those people happen to have a parts list that they used I would greatly appreciate that as well. Thank you in advance!

#2 ·
There isn't a whole lot to it. Find a manual t-case, preferably in a truck so you can get the shifter and linkage, and swap it out. You will have to do some electrical work to get the 4x4 lights to work, but I'm not sure what yet. Oh - if you do find the wrecked truck, get the wire harness off of it so you will have a plug end to plug into the t-case for the 4x4 lights.

#3 ·
If I'm thinking correctly, there's already a hole in the floor for the shifter, it just has a cover screwed over it. More helpful than you'd think too. I'd be nervous cutting into my floor lol.

#5 ·
Adhesive? He's talking about the hole for the trans case shifter. Mine had a hole that was covered by a plate screwed to the floor. No adhesive. Easy as pie swap. Now the ZF6 swap I'm doing.... you should see the hole I've got cut in my floor! :hehe:

#7 ·
thanks for the advice. I am really not worried about having the light work. for all the more I use the 4 wheel drive it doesn't concern me much. I just want to get the electric crap off my rig. Less of that crap the better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.