Does higher fuel pressure = less MPGs? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 11:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Does higher fuel pressure = less MPGs?

So far all of my logic points to yes as well as my fuel gauge!

We all understand that the stock system needs at least ~55 psi of fuel pressure to function properly. Fuel pressure is maintained via the FPR spring. My brand new rebuilt FPR is currently at 72 psi. Whatever fuel is not returned through the FPR flows through the injectors at the given duty cycle.

So if the truck will run like its supposed to at 55psi of fuel pressure and I'm providing it 72psi of fuel pressure, that means that i'm forcing more fuel through the injector each duty cycle. I'm not exactly sure how much fuel the additional 17 psi equates to, but its more. That much im certain of. That more actually equates to less fuel mileage!

So we may feel a bit more power from the increased amount of fuel going through the injector but isnt it going to jut hit fuel mileage? Wouldnt we want the least amount of fuel pressure needed for proper performance to maintain highest fuel mileage?

I just ordered the regulated return from RiffRaff. i plan on starting with the lowest fuel pressure spring for a tank and swapping to the highest. It should be pretty easy to see a significant mpg drop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 12:09 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No, absolutely not...

The extra pressure would only come into play in the fuel available to the entire system. That is, it could conceivably be an advantage as 6 & 8 fire one after the other, that having a Tiny bit more fuel pressure in the rail could help offset some of the starvation there (if it took place at all...)

On the injector side, you're just filling a cavity (before the HP oil starts to work on it) and, because you can't compress a liquid much, the "CC's" held in that cavity isn't going to change because of a 10% increase in pressure. You're not getting 10% more fuel in there at each cycle.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:51 PM

ahhh, that is the piece i wasnt aware of. So there is a finite space within the injector that is filled and controlled before being "fired". Thanks for that.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM

Higher fuel pressure = More atomization of the fuel spray. Atleast that was what I was told.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:57 AM

Now that contradicts what Ralph says
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 AM

No, no, no, that might be what's happening in a Gas motor, where the fuel pump determines what the injector injects, but Our injection system is driven by the HiPres oil In each injector. So, yes, increasing the Hi-Pres oil pressure might get better atomization but our Fuel Pumps job is merely to deliver sufficient fuel to those injectors so it can be "worked" on by the HPOPs oil.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 AM

Any reason not to go for the highest pressure (70 psi)? I have a dead rail elimination kit that allows me to select from 1 of 3 springs to modify fuel pressure. 70 being the highest. As long as i have no leaks from 70 PSI, continue with it?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:42 AM

Sure, it won't hurt anything. I'm not positive it's really going to help, not sure if any of us actually needs higher pressure for any reason. But, when I did my FXR I too put the heaviest spring in it
Old 01-30-2012, 08:44 AM

All i can hope for is higher fuel pressure may help when desired fuel volume becomes very high (high rpms). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.