Hydrolocking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 06:59 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hydrolocking

So, here's the story of my rig.... Bought it off a lot with 185k on it last summer and a flickering IDM code (unrelated to this issue). Drove it for a couple weeks with no issues. Took it on a 100 mile road trip and when I got to my destination and tried to re-start the truck it turned half a rotation and stopped. Tried again and a huge plume of white smoke came out the tailpipe. Right after the smoke it fired right up and ran perfectly all the way home. Got it home and let it sit over night and tried to restart it the next morning. Fired right up, no issue. Drove it and parked it. Re-start again only got a half crank, followed by a re-try w/ another large plume of white smoke. Found the degas bottle completely empty, but no coolant in the oil. Took it to my mechanic (great guy) and he thought head gasket. Turns out it was the right head cracked right at the front cylinder. I attributed this to the stupid Thrush muffler that the used car dealer put on this thing that was sooo plugged up with carbon that the EGT's had to be though the roof.

Anyhow, with the new head, couple new injectors, gaskets and $3k later it runs perfectly. My concern is it did hydrolock at least 2 times, but may have been 3 times and ALWAYS fired right up on the next attempt. I am wanting to put a PHP chip on this. Should I be concerned? My mechanic did not do a compression test on it but did hook it up to his AE and everything was tip-top after the head r/r. Like I said, to this day the truck runs great with no stumble or hesitation and my mechanic said a bent connecting rod would show up as a miss a the compression stroke would be weaker than the other 7 cylinders and make the rotating mass off-balance (makes sense to me ).

When the head was off it I got to look at the piston tops and they all looked excellent with no pitting, damage, or defects. The cylinder wall did have some slight discoloration but were smooth and you could still see some cross-hatch pattern on them (faintly). Anyhow, what is y'alls opinions here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If its runn
Old 01-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If its runnInG good. Then install chip and have fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.