Fuel Pump - Yes Motorcraft, No Airtex? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pump - Yes Motorcraft, No Airtex?

My 2000 F350's fuel pump mounted down on the frame seems to be getting louder at 178k miles. Since I can often be 5 to 6 hours out in no man's land in western NE or elsewhere, thinking about changing it.

Guess what I am asking for is opinions about the Airtex even though I am 99% sure I won't buy one....I know the Motorcraft is going to be fine.

Leaning towards the Motorcraft PF-1 (also known as F81Z-9C407-AC) for $282 (includes free shipping) off of Amazon. I have read it is made by Bosch, but not sure about that.

The Airtex E2236 is only $111 (includes free shipping) off of Amazon and while very tempting, it makes me nervous, especially after reading the two reviews below off of Advance Auto's website.......Sounds like the first guy figured out the factory nuts won't work and the 2nd guy got a pump that somebody had already broken the wiring post off of....bottom line is the wiring posts are not the same threads...who knows what else is wrong with the Airtex?

Review 1
This pump is considerably smaller than the stock pump so it doesn't fit well in the factory bracket. The posts where the wires attach are a different size so you can't reuse the existing nuts, and it does not come with new ones. Brass fittings are provided which screw on to the plastic body. No, I would not recommend this to a friend

Review 2
I am very happy with the product. It is Advance Auto Parts that I am unhappy with. The part had been used (reeked of diesel fuel),one of the electric hookups was broken, AND there was a fitting missing. Somebody really dropped the ball on this one, causing me to go out of my way to exchange the part. The store wasn't all that happy to see me either--kind of a silent treatment, as if they were doing me a great favor exchanging the defective part. Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

Last edited by bob00stroke; 01-24-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd use the Motorcraft one. Why do you think it's going out? I've got 319k on my stock one, and it's fine.
Now, you might drop the tank, clean it out and the pickup foot and make sure that's all good.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well, probably just being a worry wart...just seems like it is getting a little louder, but maybe that is just because of the 0 to 30 degF weather we are having - the fuel is probably a little thicker and harder to pump.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM

Maybe. You should have an anti gel additive in your fuel.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM

I got approx. 300k on the stock pump, went to airtex and got less than 75k, I am now back to motorcraft. Just my experience.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:47 AM

my stock fuel pump is VERY loud, loud enough to hear from inside or outside of the truck at idle. Assuming it needs replaced, just dont feel like it. It could be just from crap in the tank or lines but I dont know if that would cause it to be so loud.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:08 PM

It might be drawing in a lot of air. Before a new pump, I'd pull the tank, either clean and fix the stock pickup foot and screens or just do the hutch mod.
It might just be broken and sucking in a lot of air or really clogged up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.