AMSOIL question?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 09:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow AMSOIL question??

Im doing an oil change on friday. I'm switching to amsoil fully synthetic 5w40, and amsoil trans fluid. what oil and fuel filter should i get? What should i switch my coolant to? i want the best possible fluids in my truck. also what differences would i see/ gain from switching these fluids? any help appreciated thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
going to the 5w-40 you'll see better cold starts. and for the oil filter if you don't have to worry about clearance issues i'd go with elf7405. for fuel ive always just ran motorcraft

edit: i forgot to mention i'd do a coolant flush and go with cat elc. can find write ups on here about coolant flushes. and check out guzzle's page and look into a coolant filter. I've been needing to get this done too
Old 01-24-2012, 03:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstwoke View Post
Im doing an oil change on friday. I'm switching to amsoil fully synthetic 5w40, and amsoil trans fluid. what oil and fuel filter should i get? What should i switch my coolant to? i want the best possible fluids in my truck. also what differences would i see/ gain from switching these fluids? any help appreciated thanks guys
Best stock replacement oil filter is the donaldson elf7405 but the MC fl1995 is a good filter as well. For fuel filters I like Fleetguard, Baldwin, Donaldson, MC or Racor...all are 10 microns absolute (98.6%) or better and with water stripping efficiencies in 93-95% range. Napa is another ok option but IMHO for what you spend you don't get the greatest filter...fuel filter is 14 microns nominal (50%) and unknown water stripping.

And I know someone is going to post...'I have been running Napa (wix) filter since 1863 and my truck has 91256456456156 miles on it and it is fine yada yada' I am not saying napa/wix are bad...I am just saying IMHO there are better filters out there for the money.

As far as coolant, at least IMHO, ALMOST any coolant (green, gold, ELC...I would not even touch Dex-cool in an application that didn't spec it) properly maintained we serve your truck fine. ELCs are nice cause you don't have to worry about checking SCAs but green and gold ain't that bad either IMHO...just requires a little more work.

While your at it you should think about changing your x-case (if applicable), power steering, diffs and brake fluid as well...

Welcome to guzzle's Front Differential Maintenance Web Page

Welcome to guzzle's Rear Differential Maintenance Web Page

Welcome to guzzle's Transfer Case Fluid Change Web Page

Ford Super Duty Power Steering Flush | Superdutypsd.com
Old 01-24-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by probuilder View Post
Ok, if you are gonna run Amsoil 5w-40 engine oil. You want to run the oil filter that is made for that truck by Amsoil: 25,000-Mile Ea Oil Filter (EAO99) Better filtration than a donaldson, plus you get to take advantage of the extended drain intervals. I am Not saying Donaldson filters are bad!
Hmmm....no.

The EAO99 is 15 micron at 98.7%
Amsoil EA Synthetic Oil Filters EAO99

The ELF 7405 is 15 microns at 98.7%
https://dynamic.donaldson.com/webc/W...tml?item=80882

They are the same efficiency but the Donaldson is significantly larger than the Amsoil filter...it will support an extended drain interval just fine. It is designed for an engine with a sump that is 2-4 times the size of a PSD with a 7-10 times longer manufacturers recommended OCI.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
not an argument that I am going to get into on here. But, look at the media that the filter is made from. Those specs are done with a new filter right out of the box. Not one that has been run to the the oil change interval.
Hmm...what filter are you referring to here? Not really sure I am following what you are saying...are saying that Donaldson is inaccurate with its micron ratings or??
Old 01-24-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
No, I am not saying anything bad about Donaldson or their Filters.
I just said that the micro ratings are out of the box new, not after they have been run for 25000 miles or what ever their OIC is. Amsoils micron rating gets better the longer it is in service, but also restricts oil flow as the micron rating shrinks (as does any filters flow), their micron test is the same (15) but their flow rate is higher and restriction is lower.

He also has a 4wd so there is no clearance for the big filter.
I know your are not saying anything bad about the Donaldson filter, please understand I am just playing devil's advocate.

Ok and what proof does Amsoil have for any of these fabulous claims? Any SAE, ISO tests at a 25k oci on a diesel engine? I only ask cause Donaldson, Fleetguard, Baldwin, Wix, Motorcraft, Champion..etc etc all seem to rate per industry standards (I can't think of the ISO off the top of my head) and it appears through their advertising, Amsoil is rating their filters on the same industry standard but alluding to performance that there doesn't seem to be an industry standard or common metrics for measuring. Which, to me at least, appears to be an advertising tool. Now I understand all manufacturers of any product, will always market its specs to make it look as good as possible...but how as we as end consumers verify these claims...we can't! Now on the same token we can't verify the claims of Donaldson or Wix directly either...however the ISO and SAE standards do provide the end user with a certain level of assurance since it is a third party that created these measuring standards...not the manufacturer.

Ok I am off my soap box.

Oh yeah the ELF7405 fits just fine on my 4wd.

And one more thing....the ELF7349 (for the 5.9 Cummins) looks an awful lot like a Ea080 filter and has long been rumored to be the same thing...

Donaldson Endurance vs. Amsoil EaO - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Last edited by rufushusky; 01-24-2012 at 06:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Here is some more info on the filter:

Less Restriction
AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters have lower restriction than conventional cellulose media filters. Their small synthetic fibers trap smaller particles and hold more contaminants, resulting in lower restriction. During cold-temperature warm-up periods, an Ea Oil Filter allows the oil to flow through the filter more easily than a typical cellulose filter does. Lower restriction decreases engine wear.

Contaminant Retention
A filterís capacity refers to the amount of contaminants it can hold and still remain effective. AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters have a greater capacity for small, wear-causing contaminants than competing filter lines. In fact, when used in conjunction with AMSOIL synthetic motor oils, AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are guaranteed for up to 15,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, or 25,000 miles/one year, whichever comes first, depending on application and severity of service.

Superior Construction
AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters are made with premium-grade full-synthetic media. The strictly controlled processing of this media ensures accurate filter construction and is what allows Ea Oil Filters to deliver higher capacity and efficiency along with better durability.

Over the service life of a conventional cellulose filter, hot oil will degrade the resins that bind the media. Ea Oil Filtersí full-synthetic media technology is resin-free. It uses a wire screen backing that is pleated with the media for superior strength.

Ea Oil Filters are constructed with HNBR gaskets that are fully tested to extreme distances in numerous severe environments. The filters also feature fully tucked seams, a molded element seal, roll-formed threads and a long-lasting, premiumgrade silicone anti-drain valve. They also feature fluted cans for improved grip.

Hmm...ok, still no testing or proof really of any kind. Baldwin, fleetguard, Donaldson, Wix etc etc have used microglass and other forms of non-cellulose and synthetic media over the years....
Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Ok, if you are gonna run Amsoil 5w-40 engine oil. You want to run the oil filter that is made for that truck by Amsoil: 25,000-Mile Ea Oil Filter (EAO99) Better filtration than a donaldson, plus you get to take advantage of the extended drain intervals. I am Not saying Donaldson filters are bad!
I am a Amsoil Dealer. If you need this filter or any other Amsoil products, PM me for your request, I will get you a price shipped to your door. I will need your address for shipping.
That's just not right.

Maybe with a dual-filter bypass AND UOA analysis.

No spin-on filter is going to last 25,000 miles.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Premium Member

Did the moderator delete 1/2 of this thread? I just joined the powerstroke family from the Cummins family. When my Dodge died Christmas morning (head on crash w/16 yo w/learners permit) it had 182,183 miles. I changed the oil & filter every 25,000 With amsoil 15 w 40 and a eao80. Always sent my oil out for test and always came back good. One thing the AMSOIL deaeler failed to mention was that Donaldson makes Ea filters for Amsoil. -Jason
Old 01-29-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplugs4me View Post
Did the moderator delete 1/2 of this thread? I just joined the powerstroke family from the Cummins family. When my Dodge died Christmas morning (head on crash w/16 yo w/learners permit) it had 182,183 miles. I changed the oil & filter every 25,000 With amsoil 15 w 40 and a eao80. Always sent my oil out for test and always came back good. One thing the AMSOIL deaeler failed to mention was that Donaldson makes Ea filters for Amsoil. -Jason
I think that is cause he was an unapproved vendor.

First off, glad it was just your goat that bit the bullet, not its contents.

Secondly, what a Cummins does to motor oil and what a 7.3's hpop will do to motor oil are two totally different animals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.