7.3 Slow cranking on first start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Slow cranking on first start

I have an '01 F-350 crew cab, long bed. This truck is completely stock. on cold even cool mornings the engine cranks very slow. I wait until the glow plug light goes off before I even try to turn it over. I let it turn for a few second then let it rest. I turn the key off and back on, let the glow plug light go off again and it is still bad slow. I repeat this several time before it will ever fire and start. After the first time of the day it doesn't do this any more. It cranks over fine the rest of the day. Brand new 825 cca batteries. Could this be a starter problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes could be a starter but it sounds like the glow plug system check the gpr and plugs.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Give the Glow Plugs some more time, forget that light, it's meaningless...

That is, the GPs are actually activated LONG after the light goes out so, roll the key to ON, and next time, wait like that for 90sec before you crank.

Give All the battery connections a good look too. Every place they start & end. The grounds, solenoids, battery terminals, make them clean, greased, & tight. Then, I'd turn my attention to the starter & solenoid.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:13 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiz big red View Post
Yes could be a starter but it sounds like the glow plug system check the gpr and plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Give the Glow Plugs some more time, forget that light, it's meaningless...

That is, the GPs are actually activated LONG after the light goes out so, roll the key to ON, and next time, wait like that for 90sec before you crank.

Give All the battery connections a good look too. Every place they start & end. The grounds, solenoids, battery terminals, make them clean, greased, & tight. Then, I'd turn my attention to the starter & solenoid.

Also, what oil are you using? Switching to synthetic helped my cold starts, as well.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post

Also, what oil are you using? Switching to synthetic helped my cold starts, as well.
Synthetic and gpr make a huge difference I switched from 15w40 to rotella 5w40 and swapped out the stock relay for the Stancor haven't had a starting problem since the switch. As said before you can't depend only on that wait to start light just wait a minute or so in really cold temps no need to cycle the plugs it does nothing but drain your battery. In the cold I usually only have to wait about 20-30 seconds to crank it.

Old 01-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiz big red View Post
Synthetic and gpr make a huge difference I switched from 15w40 to rotella 5w40 and swapped out the stock relay for the Stancor haven't had a starting problem since the switch. As said before you can't depend only on that wait to start light just wait a minute or so in really cold temps no need to cycle the plugs it does nothing but drain your battery. In the cold I usually only have to wait about 20-30 seconds to crank it.

I have the stock GPR and OEM Glowplugs, 2-880CCA Die Hard batteries, and I'm currently running 15/40 Amsoil... I have started as low as -25*F with NO issues.

Last edited by ToMang07; 01-24-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
I have the stock GPR and OEM Glowplugs, 2 88CCA Die Hard batteries, and I'm currently running 15/40 Amsoil... I have started as low as -25*F with NO issues.

2002 Ford 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel Cold Start at 0*F - YouTube
I don't doubt you start easy but not all of our trucks are the same I have started just fine with the same setup you run I just like the way she runs with the lighter oil and the Stancor much faster starts. Nice truck by the way!

Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. This is actually a work truck. I just drive it everyday. The owner takes it to the ford dealer to have the oil changed so I'm pretty sure it's not a synthetic. I have been wondering why I was still hearing the glow plugs after the light goes out. I hums for a while.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. I have always thought the gp stopped warming when the light goes off. This truck is actually a work truck, but I drive it every day. The owner takes it to the ford dealership to have the oil changed, I'm pretty sure its not synthetic. I just figured it wouldn't be the glow plugs, since they warm the cylinder it's self and not actually the oil that much. It sounds like the batteries are really low or the starter is really loaded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.