Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cold weather trouble

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Im_Strokin_ur_Cummins 
#1 ·
I have a E99 250 that HATES the cold!! I live in Northern NY so it gets quiet cold, and my truck just does not want to start. I run glow plugs 3 or 4 times some times more, and wether it is 40 or -10 or colder it wont start. I have replaced #6 and #8 injectors put all new plugs in on that side as well, and a new valve cover gasket and harness. Still refuses to start I have to spray "Start you Bastard!" into the intake for it to pop on colder days and warmer days it usally starts after quiet a few cranks. Yes I do plug it in but that doest do anything for it no matter what the temp is.I usally have to resort to getting the battery charger or a jump on the really cold days. My dads truck is same as mine and will start regardless of being plugged in or not even on the -10 days after sitting all night. Any ideas on what my issue could be:dunno:? Hauling a salamander out at 6am is getting old fast lol!!!

#4 ·
Relay has been replaced 3 times

#11 ·
Last time I checked 5w-40 and 15w-40 are both 40 weight oils. 5w-40 synthetic is formulated to flow better in colder environments, its not a "light weight" oil. It will help your truck in cold weather, my 6.0 loves it. I'd also recommend some RevX in the oil as well.

Did you replace the glow plug wire harness? It may be bad and what is causing you to replace the relay so much. I'd check those wires going to the glow plugs as a start.

#12 ·
I am referring to the dynamic viscosity of the oil (which is made up of cold cranking viscosity and pumping viscosity which is the basis for the xxW rating), not the kinematic viscosity(the basis for the -XX rating of the oil) and thus a 5w oil is lighter (aka less viscous in cold weather) than a 15w rated oil...which is a good thing. I am not saying that a 5w-40 is not better in the colder, I saying at 40*F a healthy 7.3 should have NO problem with a 15w-40 in the pan.

#13 ·
GPs, GPR, UVCHs. Make sure they all ohm out and are actually getting voltage. New parts mean nothing. Batteries. 850CCA MINIMUM. Probably more since you're up there. Good connections and grounds. Good starter and connections.
How long are you 'cycling' the WTS light? The GPs stay on for about 90 seconds to 120 seconds at a time after the key is turned on. That's why you need to check the GPR. If it's not staying on that amount of time, there's your issue.
Cycling the key right after the WTS light goes out it useless. Let the GPs get HOT then let them stay that way.

#17 ·
I let the plugs sit a full 2min after turning the key everytime. I will be headed home this weekend god willing the truck starts so Ill be able to check everything out thurowly then hopfuly.

#18 ·
I had the same problem this year. Two new Die Hard Platinum batteries and she starts better than she ever did!

#19 ·
how can you test your starter? multimeter to the solenoid or what? i just spent $280 on two brand new batteries and when i let the glow plugs run for more than a minute i go to trun the key and it makes a whine that fades then does nothing. did it twice then started. its been happening more and more..any advice please!!

#22 ·
On the plus side I make smoke signals when I try starting it lol. so people can atleast locate me haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.