what is a parts truck worth? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what is a parts truck worth?

I have found a parts truck... 2000 F250, CCLB, 4x4, 7.3, auto, Lariat, been rolled, body parts are all shot. I am interested in the lift and tires on it, a buddy of mine would like the trans, but I am wondering what the rest of it would be worth... the truck has just shy of 300K miles on it, the current owner has had it since 2002, and put 275K of thoes miles on it... kept up with maintnance as needed, but what is a running motor, with 300k on it, worth on the used market? I can justify putting $1000 to $1500 into it, but the guy is asking $4000... would the other $2500 be able to be re-couped from parts sales, namely the motor? the frame? Any input, ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 02:20 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
$4000 is a ridiculous price. That truck is worth like $6-7k if it was clean and not wrecked. If you could get it for $2k, you could make money on it. I'm assuming the transmission has been rebuilt, if not, your buddy is nuts.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:12 PM

bought my 00 4x4 ext cab for 6k,had a 6" lift and 35's,on it,250k drove it home
Old 01-22-2012, 05:56 PM

Trans has been rebuilt, that's why my buddy is interested... Tires are new 35" BFG all terrains on factory alloy wheels, 4" lift 2 years old, list of recently replaced items (alternator, p/s pump, hydroboost unit, front wheel berrings, ESOF hub seals, etc) I agree, $4k is steep, but in parts, it adds up to $4K quick. Current owner is stuck on "I'll rebuild it before I let it go for any less" but we might just offer less, leave our phone number, and walk away. He may call back in a month...

However, I think my question is more along the lines of what would the motor be worth? We have no need of it, and may sell it to make the rest of the truck affordable, or just to help put a value on a used motor with 300K on it... I started it today, fired up easily with just one battery in it at about 35*, although it did have the block heater pluged in. Also, what might axles be worth?

Reguard less of what deal we can get the truck for, what could we reasonably expect to get out of parts, motor, axles, and so forth? I have no clue what a motor is gonna go for... axles, I'd guess $500 each? Transfer case, $300? $200? Would someone give $1500 for a motor with thoes miles?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
I wouldn't touch a lift on a rolled truck, who know what got warped or knocked out of whack.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:26 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd expect to get about $1000 for the motor, but hope for $1500. The mileage is going to kill you on everything. Nobody really wants a motor, tcase, or axles with 300k on them.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 AM

I looked over the truck pritty good, doubt the lift is hurt, frame I would question, even though the current owner said he measured it to check for straight, and plans to rebuild the truck if he keeps it... the truck took a solid hit to the upper portion of the cab on the passenger side, pushing the roof over to the left enough to keep the drivers side doors from opening and closing... the lower portions of the passenger side show little damage, most of it from the window line up. So, based on this, I doubt the suspention took a major hit sideways enough to hurt it... track bar brackets don't look bent. So, in that respect, I'd take it.

Was checking Ebay the other night, found motors with simular milage going for $1500 to $3000, gonna watch them to see if they actully bring that...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.