Need help! Charging/battery draining problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 03:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Need help! Charging/battery draining problem

So I have been having a problem with my batteries staying charged since back in october, so I swapped them out for new. Problem went away for a while, or so I thought. Happening again, so I took the alt and both batteries in to be tested. Batteries were good, but the alt failed. So new alt, batteries fully charges and a week later same thing. Go to start my truck this am and barely enough juice to start..any thoughts? Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this and for imput.

Sent from my LG-MS690 using AutoGuide.Com Free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2012, 06:20 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Once you eliminate the Battery & Alt (you have proper, full charged, capacity available) you're left with either a Parasitic Draw taking that capacity down OR the Starter/Solenoid not using that capacity because they're BAD...

If it Only happens after an overnight "sit" it's probably not the Starter (still could be...) and letting it sit longer should make it worse.

What you describe sound intermittent though and THAT's the worst scenario... Hard to "Test" when you can't count on there being a problem!

You can try pulling fuses but, it's gonna be Hit & Miss if you can't be sure when it's happening. The most, historical, problem with this has been the Radio - Cluster - Alt. Maybe start there?
Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
do you have a aftermarket stereo with high power amps cuase alot of times they wire them to stay charged at all times and this slowly drains the battery down that was the problem with my truck
Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 AM

I do have aftermarket stereo and subs but they have been in the truck since I have owned it and this just recently started. I am thinking it ia radio related though, for some reason my drivers side speaker has no sound until I turn the radio up loud then it operates as normal at any volume, could be unrelated...

Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Noralph, thanks for the imput. Today while at school I pulled my radio fuse to try and rule it out, but shouldn't power to it be cut off anyways when the key is out?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:53 AM

Radio still has power to it with the key out to keep it memory working and the clock powered up.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:04 AM

Okay so got back into the truck after school, truck was parked from 0700-1300ish, and it barely had enough juice to start again. Number 8 fuse was pulled... Anyone got any ideas? I verified that my amp/sub is powering off with the radio, it is hooked up to a remote wire and powers off as it should.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Once low, are you recharging the batteries or expecting the Alt to do it? Be sure they're getting a good charge back in them, I would be getting them on a Battery Charger each time they get low.

While this is happening (and easier to find) I'd stay on top of it! Next try unplugging the Alt (it can be a source for a draw even though it passes the "charging" test)
Old 01-20-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
Once low, are you recharging the batteries or expecting the Alt to do it? Be sure they're getting a good charge back in them, I would be getting them on a Battery Charger each time they get low.

While this is happening (and easier to find) I'd stay on top of it! Next try unplugging the Alt (it can be a source for a draw even though it passes the "charging" test)
The alt is brand new installed by me on saturday, and the batteries were fully charged by autozone on saturday as well. I guess it could be bad, but I would think it is something else first.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Do you have an ammeter? If you do, you can check for a parasitic draw by disconnecting both negative terminals of your bateries and then connecting the ammeter in series between one of the batteries and the negative lead you disconnected. Put the positve lead of your meter on the disconnected lead and the negative to the battery. You should measure less than 100 milliamps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.