First Diesel, Bring me up to speed! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Diesel, Bring me up to speed!

I've owned Mustangs my whole life but I've sold the Stangs and bought my first Powerstroke. I just picked up a 2001 F350 (Kentucky) 4x4 7.3L Auto, extended cab, with a 6' bed. It has 153,xxx miles, the tranny was replaced under warranty just before 100k. So I'm looking for basic knowledge and advice on these beasts. I'm up to speed on the fuel filter change every 20k-ish and of course the oil every 5k.

I've heard A LOT of horror stories about chipping them especially having auto trannys, but I was thinking about an exhaust and intake, just something to let it breathe a little easier. I don't know what brands are great and what aren't. Any safe mods that improve the daily quality, I'm all ears. I don't want to do much.

Can't wait to learn a lot of knowledge on a completely different fuel system and engine all togethor, thank you to those of you who post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Welcome to the org!!

It depends what your plans are for the truck but the basics are..

Intake: DIY from napa. Part number 6637.. best bang for the buck.

Exhaust: 4" turbo back from mbrp or diamond eye.. if your on a budget, chop out the muffler and straight pipe it..

Next would be gauges.. just about anyone on here will tell you that..

As far as tunes, its the generic tunes you should be cautious of.. like superchip, edge, bulldog, etc..

I haven't had the chance to get custom tunes, but have yet to hear anything bad yet. Im sure someone will chime in and add some more info..
Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 PM

the 7.3 is a stout motor and as far as chipping a truck with an automatic. go for it i have an 03 7.3 with an auto and it has generic bully dog tunes on it. granted custom tunes are the best but the bully dog works for now. yes a 4 in exhaust will help it breathe better mine is stock straight piped to 5 in stacks sounds amazing.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Emergency Services

As previously stated, intake, 4 or 5 inch exhaust and gauges. Boost/pyro (exhaust gas temperatures)/transmission temp should be enough. As for tunes again as stated above the canned tunes are the trans killers. If you get custom tunes like PHP or DP etc they are great. Personally I have both PHP and Dp on my trucks and they are great. I would suggest the PHP Phoenix for you though. It is a custom tuned 6 position chip for $295 dollars. Bill has great tunes and your trans will be more than safe. You get an economy tune, performance tune, tow tune etc. If you have any more questions feel free to ask, and by the way, congrats on the new truck!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I personally have a SuperChip Flashpaq, and to be honest I haven't heard or read anything about them on here...so I couldn't tell you what the reviews have been...I like it though! I have the DIY 6637 intake and 4" turbo back straight exhaust with a 6" tip. I love the sound of my truck...

Old 01-20-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIVER-RAT View Post
I personally have a SuperChip Flashpaq, and to be honest I haven't heard or read anything about them on here...so I couldn't tell you what the reviews have been...I like it though! I have the DIY 6637 intake and 4" turbo back straight exhaust with a 6" tip. I love the sound of my truck...

I have the superchip also, but wasn't by my choice.. guy I bought my truck from set it, then sold it. Im going to send in my computer soon to get it programmed til I can afford a full 6pos chip.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyryan07 View Post
I have the superchip also, but wasn't by my choice.. guy I bought my truck from set it, then sold it. Im going to send in my computer soon to get it programmed til I can afford a full 6pos chip.
Dang, that sucks! Pulling the computer out and sending it in to be re-programmed, that sounds like it could be a little pricey! I don't know that much about those tuners, but couldn't you find someone close to you that has one and use theirs to program your truck back to "stock"?

I'm not sure where you're located, If my memory serves me correctly isn't there a New Boston in Texas, I'm in Missouri (Metro St Louis area)
Old 01-20-2012, 01:27 PM

I think DP tuner will do it for like $80.. I could have misread it? It'll be a better option than my superchip set for towing til I can get my 6pos.. And yeah, there's a New Boston here in Texas.. just outside of Texarkana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.