[Legal question] Wheel bearings went bad causing other damage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
[Legal question] Wheel bearings went bad causing other damage

hey, I got in quite the situation yesterday, on my birthday none the less. I was leaving my house when one of my wheel bearing completely separated into two parts, by the time I limped it home and pulled it apart I found a list of significant damage (about 1000$) including; brakes, caliper, rotor, axle shaft, brand tire destroyed.

Now my problem lies here, I recently replaced both wheel bearings on both sides(less then 4k miles ago) and already had one of them warrantied due to going bad. Now Im stuck with a huge bill and feel as if it not my fault nor my responsibility. Has anyone had any experience with getting companies to pay for damages or with lawsuits against them for such? The company that made the bearing was C-Tek I believe.

And before anyone jumps the gun, I am not out to sue them to get a big fat payoff, I don't want to sue them period and hate people that are sue happy but I am worried they will not pay for damages and I can't afford it. I am 19 and going to school so i have very little money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
who installed it? if you go legal route and they determine it was the installation then you got nothing. first off id call whoever you bought the part from or their supplier than the manuf. dont just to legal stuff. talk to the companies and see what comes of that first imo
Old 01-18-2012, 01:21 PM

I plan to take that route to start with but i wanted to know what I was into to now.

I installed it myself, and I know that will be detrimental to myself but I can't afford to have all my work professionally done, it doesn't really matter what I think but im pretty sure installation has nothing to do with it because the damage was in a location that just doesn't make sense to have affected it.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 PM

just making sure your aware of the first question they are going to ask you.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:27 PM

Yah, it was one of the first things that came to mind, I have a pretty good relationship with one of the guys at the auto parts store so Im hoping he can pull some strings or at least do his best to see what my options are.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 PM

got pics of the damage? youll need those also. start at the parts store but call the manuf customer service line and get them involved also
Old 01-18-2012, 01:31 PM

Yes, I took picture of all damage to vehicle.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 PM

post them up.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:49 PM

Most auto parts stores have a claims department for just this type of thing. It is best to have all of your receipts and photos together along with an estimate or two to repair the damage. Bring all these into the store you got it from and make sure you talk to the store manager. They will be the one that can help you. If necessary, make an appointment to meet with them.

Also, being in parts sales, I cannot stress enough how much nicer/easier/helpful it is when you go in with a cool head. It was not the managers fault this happened nor anyone else in the store. Stuff happens and it just needs to be corrected. That type of attitude goes a long way versus yelling, swearing and playing the blame game across the counter.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewGerhan View Post
Most auto parts stores have a claims department for just this type of thing. It is best to have all of your receipts and photos together along with an estimate or two to repair the damage. Bring all these into the store you got it from and make sure you talk to the store manager. They will be the one that can help you. If necessary, make an appointment to meet with them.

Also, being in parts sales, I cannot stress enough how much nicer/easier/helpful it is when you go in with a cool head. It was not the managers fault this happened nor anyone else in the store. Stuff happens and it just needs to be corrected. That type of attitude goes a long way versus yelling, swearing and playing the blame game across the counter.
Thanks for the tip and thought.

I couldn't agree with you more, I have a very calm and cool demeanor, sometimes too calm and I am more then happy to approach this softly to begin with and will try and do this as easy and yelling free as possible, but on the same token there are time when these tactics need to be employed. You can't always be nice, I don't blame the auto parts store at all, and if it comes to suit(pending i have a case) I will be suing the manufacturer, not the store. I always appreciate the help and attitude I get from them so i feel they deserve the same respect, provided they are good and deserve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.