can i reuse a u-joint? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can i reuse a u-joint?

so this might be a dumb question, but can i reuse a ujoint once pressed out? i'm quickly getting an education in front hub/axle repair, thanks to the wealth of info here, and thanks to my hub assy. locking up and destroying the stub axle.

so i've got to replace the passenger stub axle along with a laundry list of other parts. the ball joints seem tight as can be and are moogs, so i'm assuming they were done already, or were the original ones moogs?. likewise i've got the axles out, and the u joints don't have a bit of play in them. they do make sort of a squishing sound when you work them, but seems like thats just the grease getting pushed around? the only ujoints ive messed with were in obvious need of replacement when i did them, so it was never a consideration to put them back.

I know, i know, just drop the $$$ and know they are good right, but after hub assys, axle stubs, lockouts, and so on, the wallet's getting pretty thin, and after tearing into this truck, i've realized i have 2 more trucks that need the same procedures once i can get this one on the road.

Whats the service life on one of these? truck has 125k and purchased at 60, so i know they've got 65k on them, maybe all 125? maybe thats enough reason to go ahead and switch them? like i said though, not a bit of play in them.

2001 f350 7.3 w/ manual hubs fyi

advice appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is my opinion.

You stated, "I know, i know, just drop the $$$ and know they are good right, but after hub assys, axle stubs, lockouts, and so on, the wallet's getting pretty thin"

I do get where you're coming from. Saving $$ is saving $$. OTOH, I would consider it some insurance to go ahead and replace them. I mean, you're already tearing the whole thing apart. You might as well do it now while it's apart rather than having to tear it down again in the future (how ever long they last) to change them.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sure you can if you're careful, but, why would you? They're not expensive and the new ones you put in will have grease fitting in them (hopefully) so they're a Much better way to go.

Plus, why put a 1/2 used U-Joint behind the Knuckle Seal (that actually costs More than the U-Joint does) and end-up destroying that seal going back in to replace the U-Joint when it Does go bad....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.