Brisco's First Ride on a FlatBed...Ditty Not Happy!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2007, 07:49 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Brisco's First Ride on a FlatBed...Ditty Not Happy!!!

So...Friday afternoon at about 1230, the g/f and I were in Brisco heading to Ocean City for the weekend. As we were changing freeways the truck starts to shutter a little bit then stops. Then, about 2 mins later while cresting a hill, it feels like the rear end is locking up. I immediately pullover to the right just as the driveline is locking up. I'm like, "WTF???" I look under the truck and what do you know. They Tranny cooler line that I repaired with some fuel line has SNAPPED and there is tranny fluid coating EVERYTHING under the truck. (I know I know...y'all don't have to hit me with the "I told you so" stuff...my roommate already got me on it.)

SO....after about an hour sitting on the side of the road, and a failed attempt to get AAA to pick us up, (they said they couldn't get us for 4hrs!!!), I got the local Ford Dealer to get me a tow. We got Brisco to Apple Ford in Columbia, MD after some grief on the flatbed. (With the rear locking up...it was a PITA to get Brisco on the truck.) We got to the dealer and I snapped these of Brisco getting off the truck:

I bought a new tranny cooler line and replaced the one that I should have replaced a month ago, and filled the tranny with 5 qts (well...I spilled about a quart...so maybe 4qts) of Mercon and started it up. It will move, barely, but it is evident that the tranny is toast. It tries to go forward in neutral.

All told, it cost me the following:
Tow for 4-5 miles: $65
Tranny cooler line and Mercon: $50
Having to get a new tranny: $2000-3500
Getting told "I told you so" by everyone you know: Priceless (for them), Annoying (for me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

that sucks man
Old 09-10-2007, 07:52 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ouch!!! that makes your weiner hurt! dont it?
Old 09-10-2007, 07:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
thats sucks .. at least threy towed ya with a ford not a top kick
Old 09-10-2007, 07:57 PM

Yep...it's no good. Though, it couldn't of happened at a better place. I was abotu 4-5 miles from the dealer and about 7 miles from my house. At least it went out there instead of on the Bay Bridge going to the beach. It would have taken more than 4 hrs for them to get someone out to get us, and a lot more $$$.

Ohh yeah...I am currently taking donations in the form of Beer, cash, or a ZF6spd!!!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:13 PM

Nearly forgot to ask this:

What do you tranny experts think I blew out in the tranny? About 3 hrs after the breakdown when I was under the monster, the tranny was still soo hot that I nearly burnt my hand touching it. It was HAWT!!! LOL. Think I should go the rebuild route, or have Ashley at Apple Ford just pop in a new reman tranny? I'll know tomorrow afternoon if I have the fundage to get a new one. I should have about $3500-ish so we'll see. God this sucks. Still taking those donations too!!! LOL
Old 09-10-2007, 08:28 PM

I don't even think mine has a tranny cooler? That sounds really weird. I must've missed the posts of your problems earlier. I wouldn't think you'd need a new tranny. A reman. has to be able to hold up to eveything you can put to it. Of course, the nos doesn't help anything. I'd like to know if someone else has had the same problem
Old 09-10-2007, 08:29 PM
one day at a time

Dude, that sux! I got all the beer you can drink too, only catch is you gotta come to Iowa to drink it
Old 09-10-2007, 08:39 PM

The problem is due to something I did while installing my clutch back in the beginning of SEPT. I snapped the tranny cooler return line while taking it off. So I got some fuel line and patched it for a temporary fix. It worked good until this last Friday. The hose just couldn't take it anylonger I guess. I was going to get another line and fix it last month, but I never got around to it. A $30 part just cost me $3000!!! LOL. (It was my fault though b/c I didn't fix it after I got the clutch in and all.)
Old 09-10-2007, 08:39 PM

Those big, beautiful, powerstroke.org stickers are working against us when your truck is gettin towed! What if someone in a dodge saw you? LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.