Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

DIY hpop crossover

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mxfever090 
#1 ·
Basically what the title says, im building my own crossover line. I've got all the materials through my dads company free of charge. Just need to double check on the fitting sizes. I need 5orb to 6an adapters, 14" of HP steel reinforced hose rated for minimum 5K psi, and 45 degree 6an hose ends... right? Is there a problem with running the MJIC threads instead of the AN?

Any input is highly appreciated!

#2 ·
I used ORF fitings instead, Personally I think JIC's like to leak more. And I believe the 14" is from end of fitting to end of fitting total lentgh. 14" of hose will leave your total too long, just measure the distance between 2 heads.

#3 ·
So I'll use the ORF fitting in place of the 6AN or MJIC? Just making sure im understanding it right.

#4 ·
I used JIC. I think the total length was around 10 inches. Building your own you'll find it's very sensative to length. Here is a pic of mine

It goes #5 oring to 45° #6 JIC. I used Parker TC hose and tried about 3 hoses before I got the length right.

#5 ·
Yeah I could go build it tomorrow no problem, we have the jic fittings, but I've heard a lot of negative feedback from it.. so I think im just gonna call up aeroquip and get the AN fitting.

#6 ·
A braided metal line isn't a bad idea.
I wouldn't use a rubber line again. Idc what it's min pressure is. The first one I had was done by a member who does hydraulic work all the time. After a year, a crimp cracked and started leaking.
Then had a replacement done by a shop. It blew apart. The hose was fine, but not the crimps. For me, it's hard lines from now on.

#7 ·
ive dealt with hydraulics for years now and the only way a crimp leaks or fails if its the wrong combo of crimp and hose or if its not crimped compleetly to spec, and the spec should always be checked when done.

The only issue i have and why i havent made my own is because the aeroquip hoses we use at work isnt rated for engine temperatures. Being close to the turbo and underhood means the outer rubbber casing will crack and split over time which isnt good.

In my opinion, use a hard line.

And JIC is the cats meow, easily rotated and very easily reused again and again.

#8 ·
I was planning on using a high pressure steel braided line we have at the shop.. my dad builds hoses and gaskets for a living, and the only thing im ordering from aeroquip is the fittings. We build hoses that reach a higher pressure than even possible with this crossover line. Im not worried about the hose or crimp failing on me, I was just double checking my fitting sizes.

#9 ·
Parker TC hose is steel braided with a rubber coating to keep it from getting damaged if it rubs on something. We use it in military MRAP vehicles in the engine compartments. Pretty sure that's one of the harshest environments there is.

Mine has been on almost a year and haven't had an issue yet. I keep the stock plugs in the glove box just in case though. You never know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.