Newbie needing some advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie needing some advice

Hey guys,

I'm new to these forums, so I'm hoping you all can help me out. I've learned over the years how doing some homework before buying goes a long way towards long term satisfaction, and forums are the #1 place for raw 1st hand experience. I'm starting a new job in July, and I plan on spending most of my signing bonus on a 99-03 F-250 with the 7.3, crew cab, auto, 4x4, and a short bed. I plan on using the truck as a daily driver, but also to haul my car to and from track days, as well as when I move cross country (every 6 months with my new job).

I have a handle on some of the engine differences between 99 and 03, but it would REALLY help me if you guys could tell me what exactly was changed from year to year, whether it be engine, trans, suspension, interior...whatever. Also, what should I look out for, for example if a specific year has a weak transmission or something. When I go and look at a potential truck once I'm ready to buy, what should I look for that would tell me I should steer clear of that truck?

I'm sure this has been asked before and I did do a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for. If there's already a thread out there, just point me to it. Thanks!

PS - Here's my current ride...the one that will be riding pretty on the trailer behind my new Ford She's got about 380 crank horsepower, all wheel drive, and electronic suspension. Different animal than a truck, but I've done all the modifications and maintenance myself, so I consider myself a relatively experienced home mechanic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

From 99-03. Let's see.
99-Early 01ish's had forged connecting rods. Later ones had powdered metal rods. No big deal unless you're gonna push 450+HP.
02s changed to a digital odometer, added trans temp dummy gauge, and some interior things.
Newer ones have a touch more power stock.
All had 7.3s, and 4R100 transmissions. The biggest differences are in the early 99s and late 99s. There IS a thread about that though
Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Great, thanks. I found the thread, once I knew what to look for

Differences between early99 and late99-03 trucks
Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Maybe give this a read too -> What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Old 01-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Even better, thanks. That's exactly what I need. It's looking like 01+ have the best stock configuration as far as fixing some of the shortcomings of earlier models, am I right?
Old 01-12-2012, 01:09 PM

What I've read seems to state that 2000 was pretty much the pinnacle of that generation. After that, they went to PMR's and smaller rear axles in at least the DRW trucks.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:55 PM

There is a thread talking about what engine serial numbers had what rods.
They went smaller than a D80 after 2000s?

Basically, if you get a late 99 and up, you'll be fine. There weren't really any short comings really to fix past that.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:40 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
There really are no "Bad Years" you have to worry about, I'd say go with mileage & condition, and the Newer the Better because they Did address issues from previous years. The whole "PMR Rod" issue is a Red Herring. There is No Problem with those rods for 99.999% of the people who's engines have them. It only would become something to consider if You planned to dump 5K or more into making more horsepower - are you going to do that?
Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
There really are no "Bad Years" you have to worry about, I'd say go with mileage & condition, and the Newer the Better because they Did address issues from previous years. The whole "PMR Rod" issue is a Red Herring. There is No Problem with those rods for 99.999% of the people who's engines have them. It only would become something to consider if You planned to dump 5K or more into making more horsepower - are you going to do that?
Well considering my car has just shy of $9K in modifications, I'd say that's not totally outside the realm of possibility

Thanks again for all the info and the links guys. It's a big help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buyer, model year

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.