Truth regarding using Warm up Valve as an Exhaust Brake? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truth regarding using Warm up Valve as an Exhaust Brake?

Does any one know the truth regarding using the Warm Up Valve as an Exhaust brake? I purchased a wiring harness that utilizes this valve and also locks the Torque Converter when activated. I have read things that say this method can harm the engine. The Jake brake people say this method can possible cause the lifters to float and allow the exhaust valve to hang open possibly causing the piston to smack it. I tow a 15K 5th wheel just about every weekend threw some reel steep mountains so any help with braking would go a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Conservative and Proud

WELCOME DESMO!!!

Someone should be on soon that can help ya out!
Old 06-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Power Strokeaholic

this is another one of those mods that everyone reads about and has questions about it. i think ,with as many people that have done it and having not read or found any bad reports on it, that the jake brakepeople were trying to scare you out of it. think about how the other after market brakes work. basicly a butterfly in the exhaust pipe. thats all the warm up valve is. so why not use it?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmo
I purchased a wiring harness that utilizes this valve and also locks the Torque Converter when activated.
may i ask where u got that and how much was it?
Old 06-27-2006, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I purchased it on Ebay about a year ago; itís a complete wire harness with decent instructions. The Ebay add said that itís assembled by US veterans. I believe I paid about $85.00
Old 06-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

do u remember what they called it ?or maybe the ebay user name?
maybe i could find it on ebay.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just checked and they are still selling them look at Item number: 280000666514 and now that I think about it I paid that price.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks
Old 06-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Conservative and Proud

Not to but... WELCOME 00!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Ok,you want the real skinny on this .your going to get it.
Ford has the buterfly valve in these truck to be used for warm up application only keep this in mind cause as a warmup valve there is no pressure to speak of during the idle function.not designed for use as a exhaust brake and therefore has it's limitations as far as longevity is concerned in the bushings and the actual valve itself.Once these parts ware and they will you will need to replace the valve assembly and that can only be done by buying the entire turbo unit itself.Ford no longer sells the butterfly as a separete unit because of this brake.
Now,as for the brake u purchased working capabilities: Yes it will work ,but not well for loads in excess of 5000lbs. The brake will not activate for about 3 seconds after you actually lift your foot of accelerator,and then will hold lockup of the convertor only after you push overdrive buttom off.I don't know about you but when I want my Brake to work i want it now!!! Not when Im already in the guys trunk.There is a hole drilled in the buterrfly to control back pressure and as long as all is functioning right ,this should not allow enough back pressure to build to float the valves.
Hope this explains how they work for you and makes you aware of the limitations of this type of product.
PS. the company that designed that unit is no longer in existance so it's buyer beware.
BD does offer a simular unit that would do nothing different ,just be warranteed.We also offer a complete line of exhaust brakes that are designed to handel these higher weights.They are really what you should consider if you want to protect your investment and have true braking ability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.