Is a ZF6 just so good no one does rebuilds?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is a ZF6 just so good no one does rebuilds??

I'm doing a 4R100 to ZF6 in my 02. I picked up all my parts but the ZF6 I got has 300k on it and I'm a little concerned about stuffing it in there without taking a peak inside. The problem is I swear I have searched to the end of the internet and I can't find anyone doing rebuilds themselves. Hell I can't even find a reputable dealer selling rebuild kits. Whats the deal?? Should I just stick it in there and hope for the best, or unbolt it and see whats inside? Anyone ever busted the case open on this beast??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Lots of ppl do rebuilds for them but are costly
They are stout and don't have too upgrade them for more power u put to them
Only have to upgrade clutch on them the more power u make
Old 01-11-2012, 01:50 PM

I've got 332K miles on mine. Put a Heavy Duty clutch in it about a year and 50K miles ago. Tow all the time with it - Can't say a bad word about it.

I guess if you wanted to you could bust it open and take a look around - see if any teeth are missing or are worn. If all looks fine I'd venture to say you are good to seal it back up and use it.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 AM

My red truck is an early '99, has about 195K on it, and aside from the syncros for 2nd gear letting it grind a little on a fast shift from 1-2, does fine... hard to get into Low, but I'm thinking it's just the nature of the beast.

I do know of a local guy who bought a used 350 dually, and had to replace his trans, lost 3rd and 4th I think, but it was used hard before he got it, was a constrution company truck, lots of drivers, little maintnance. And he also uses it hard, and has his employees driving it...
Old 01-12-2012, 05:30 AM

Well my curiosity got hold of me and last night and a transmission friend of mine and I busted it open. There was no metal in the bottom and the inside was completely clean. All the teeth looked like they had no wear and the syncros seemed good. I will say I was a bit surprised. I'm going to pick up an input and output seal and bolt her up. I'll report back once I get "one piece at a time" rolling.

btw... I don't think I mentioned this was a work truck, Pool maintenance to be exact.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM

ZF 6 Speed Gear | REBUILT MANUAL TRANSMISSION

There's one site I found a while back. Don't know how well their customer service is or quality - haven't had the need to find out just yet. Figured I'd throw it out there for you anyhow
Old 04-09-2013, 12:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselcrawler View Post
My red truck is an early '99, has about 195K on it, and aside from the syncros for 2nd gear letting it grind a little on a fast shift from 1-2, does fine... hard to get into Low, but I'm thinking it's just the nature of the beast.

I do know of a local guy who bought a used 350 dually, and had to replace his trans, lost 3rd and 4th I think, but it was used hard before he got it, was a constrution company truck, lots of drivers, little maintnance. And he also uses it hard, and has his employees driving it...

Hard shifting into Reverse and Low is caused by the plastic bushing on the end of the clutch master cylinder, where it meets the shaft on the pedal.

the plastic bushing ALWAYS breaks and essentially there is so much slack it is as if you are trying to shift with the pedal half pressed in. the little bushing gives way to about 2-3" of pedal travel when it is broken. not allowing the clutch to fully disengage. also causes PTO grinding.

Ford sells this for $15 roughly but it will just break again in a few months.

there is a perma fix for this on e-bay. best $25 i ever spent. easy to install. hardest part is pulling the lock rings off the shaft that holds the pedal in place.

Here is a description of it: http://youtu.be/6C75oQNNows
Old 04-09-2013, 10:00 AM

I am going to have midwest transmissions rebuild mine (oil pump out) and have the cryo treat the shafts and syncros when I am ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.