Hydroboost/Steering - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hydroboost/Steering

Ok, so I installed a reman gearbox due to play about a month ago along with ball joints and a hub assembly. About 3 days ago, I lost power steering. It was very hard to turn especially trying to park. I did notice if my foot is on the brake is when it gets harder to turn. It is to the point that my wife cant turn the wheel. Even after I take my foot of the brake it is still hard until I throttle up a bit, then it gets easier. I replaced the pump and I thought that was it. Nope, same problem. I took the pump off and replaced it with a different reman unit. Same problem. Would a bad hydro boost unit cause these issues? 02 Excursion 7.3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

It sounds like you have identified your problem. The power steering pump provides fluid to your gearbox and hydro boost. When you apply brakes, the steering becomes more difficult b/c your pump is supplying a fixed amount of fluid to your gearbox and hydro boost at idle. When you raise your RPMs it flows more fluid and voila your steering works better.

This should not be an issue with a stock truck when everything is functioning correctly. Since you have replaced your pump and gearbox, the next logical part is the hydro boost as you have mentioned however, they are not cheap.

Have you noticed any fluid leaking from the hydro boost, inside the cab where the plunger enters it?

Have you bled everything sufficiently to make sure there is no air trapped in the system?

What type of fluid did you fill the system back up with?

The factory puts ATF in the power steering pump. Since you have changed out the pump and gearbox, you have essentially drained the entire system (with the exception of the HB)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 AM

I have the same problem. It does not happen all the time, but like you said I have to hit the peddle to give it power to turn. Brakes are great, but at a stop it is getting really hard to turn the wheel. I flushed the entire system and ran new ATF through it to clean it out and refill it. I kinda quieted the power steering pump down so I dont think it is the pump, I am kinda leaning towards the hydroboost like you are thinking.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, not a hydroboost. Warrantied gear box. Still the same. Put a FORD pump on it. Still the same. It doesnt get better if I two foot it. I give up
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 PM

Are you sure you've got all the air out of system?
Old 01-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Check out the for sale stuff I think there's a used hyrdoboost unit for 100 bucks I think

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.