Gasket? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gasket?

Is there a gasket between the transmission tailshaft and transfer case on a 4x4? Mine has been leaking ever since I got it and I'm going to fix it soon.

I know I can get away with RTV but want to know for sure.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd imagine there is, but I couldn't tell yah for sure without crawling under mine. Probably call a Ford dealer or a diesel shop familiar with these trucks.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Go to the dealer and get the gasket. You won't be happy if you use silicone and have to drop it back off later. They are only a few bucks. Then get yourself a tube of high tack to get it to stick while you put the transfer case back up. I've seen it a just about every parts store I've been in plus I saw it at the local Fleet Farm.

High Tack
Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Gotcha. The trans was replaced recently before I bought it and there is only RTV which is seeping and dripping.

All the online searches I've done yielded no concrete info about a gasket or not.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If the dealer asks you it's the round one. Both of the dealers I've worked at keep them in stock. Make sure you get all of the old gasket or silicone cleaned off or it will leak.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:46 PM

I also have this leak but I was told it would be difficult to do as a garage mechanic. Are you planning on doing this in your driveway? I would be curious to see how it goes for you because if it goes well I am apt to try it myself. A garage quoted something like $600 to fix which is just more than I want to spend. Would love it if you could take pics and post your installation process on this thread. I am subscribing.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'll be doing it in my garage. Only issue I forsee is the weight of the xfer case but a buddy will probably help me out.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

It's not to bad if you have a helper. I've done them by myself before, but it's best to have someone help you balance it on a floor jack.

You need to unfasten the driveshafts from the transfer case. I use 1" ratchet straps to hold the driveshafts out of the way. Then disconnect the wiring for the shift motor or the shift linkage if it's a manual shift version. Then disconnect the vent hose from the transfer case. Then you need to support the back of the transmission and take the cross member out. Once the cross member is out remove the trans mount. Then take the 6 bolts out that hold the transfer case to the trans. Then wiggle it loose, slide it back about 3/4 of an inch to release the dowel pin. Then support the transfer case with a floor jack and slide it back to disengage the trans output shaft from the transfer case and lower it to the ground. Going back on is the reverse.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I pulled my trans had it rebuilt I wouldn't call it a gasket mine was a rubber o ring and it's a pain to keep it in place

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got around to taking care of my leak today. The gasket was 7.48 from Ford and took me a couple of hours to install. I used a motorcycle/ATV jack to support the xfer case and another jack to support the trans/engine after the cross memeber was removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.