buddy has a 24v cummins/smarty and having problems..any help?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
buddy has a 24v cummins/smarty and having problems..any help??

My buddy has a 24v like the title says, he has recently gotten a smarty programmer. the first night he had it, he hooked it up and it worked perfect. the following night he went in and changed the tune level to see what the power would feel like. Once the switch was made the truck feels like it has "less" power than it did on the orginal tune i had it on. the truck has a quadzilla programmer still on the truck but the switch is in th "off" position. could that have any effect on the programming of the smarty?? if not would you have any tips on what to maybe program the truck at on the programmer to make everything run corectly. THANKS ALOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
I'd return it to stock. And take off the quadzilla. Then try it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 01-07-2012, 09:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
Okay that is what i was thinking but was not to sure. we will give that a try. if anyone has anything please feel free to chime in!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:01 AM

just put the power level on the smarty back down till he has more mods. or he should buy a powerstroke sounds like the tune just demands more fuel/air than the truck will give
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 AM

I know did he hook the tuner up properly?
There is a connection that goes to the "P" pump if he did not hook it up properly and it is not changing the pump timming to allow for more fuel.
I did a install one about a month ago in school with one of my classmates.

Ps this is not a cummins forum it is powerstroke forum
Just gotta to give you crap.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red '97 View Post
sounds like the tune just demands more fuel/air than the truck will give
That's the problem that my brother ran into with his. Like other's have said, try the easiest route first and change it back to how it was and hope for the best!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboywv12 View Post
My buddy has a 24v like the title says, he has recently gotten a smarty programmer. the first night he had it, he hooked it up and it worked perfect. the following night he went in and changed the tune level to see what the power would feel like. Once the switch was made the truck feels like it has "less" power than it did on the orginal tune i had it on. the truck has a quadzilla programmer still on the truck but the switch is in th "off" position. could that have any effect on the programming of the smarty?? if not would you have any tips on what to maybe program the truck at on the programmer to make everything run corectly. THANKS ALOT!
What setting was he on before? What did he bump it up to? Is he running a factory lift pump? If so, I would turn the smarty down so your not stressing the stock LP cause if that lets go, it will take the VP44 injection pump (which is lubed by the fuel) with it. On side note I would get a fuel pressure gauge if I was him and keep it between 5 and 20 psi, too low the pump with starve too high and you will bust the diaphragm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgassel View Post
I know did he hook the tuner up properly?
There is a connection that goes to the "P" pump if he did not hook it up properly and it is not changing the pump timming to allow for more fuel.
I did a install one about a month ago in school with one of my classmates.

Ps this is not a cummins forum it is powerstroke forum
Just gotta to give you crap.
P-pump? It should be a VP44, p-pumps are totally mechanical engine. And you don't need to tap the pump like with an edge comp with a smarty I don't think.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufushusky View Post
What setting was he on before? What did he bump it up to? Is he running a factory lift pump? If so, I would turn the smarty down so your not stressing the stock LP cause if that lets go, it will take the VP44 injection pump (which is lubed by the fuel) with it. On side note I would get a fuel pressure gauge if I was him and keep it between 5 and 20 psi, too low the pump with starve too high and you will bust the diaphragm.

P-pump? It should be a VP44, p-pumps are totally mechanical engine. And you don't need to tap the pump like with an edge comp with a smarty I don't think.
I only worked on one cummins and it was a students may have been the vp44 on it and he put on a quadzilla that had the wire going to the pump.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:14 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgassel View Post
I only worked on one cummins and it was a students may have been the vp44 on it and he put on a quadzilla that had the wire going to the pump.
If you put a programer (like the smarty) or a module (like edge comp or quad) on a Cummins it is either a VP44 24V (98.5-02) or a CR (03-07). The VE pump (1989-1993) and P-pump (1994-1998), both 12V, trucks are totally mechanical engines and don't have any electrical power adders.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:15 AM

What year truck is it? Did he turn the POD down? You set the POD on 00, and the truck will barely move
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.