new powerstroke,need some advise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new powerstroke,need some advise

so i got my first diesel truck yesterday.I have a rapair/speed shop but have always messed with gassers because im familiar with them.But fuel prices have forced me to upgrade.Anyways i bought a 00 ext cab 4x4 lwb truck.Its a auto but dont seem to have the power i think it should.Turbo spools up but feels like its loosing boost or something.Im going to hook up a guage today so ill let you know what it reads.All stock except for a hot air filter,and 4" tip under it.Anything i need to look at,check? I know the wastegate vac line was unplugged,im thinking the wastegate it stuck,i cant get it to budge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The 7.3 in it's stock form is no speed demon. Let us know what your boost is.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:49 PM

6 lbs,when i let off the gas it spikes to 10.I know this is way low.I cleaned the backpressue valve,it was carboned shut.I attempted to clean the sensor,but im not sure if its good or not,is there a way to check it?
Also checked for boost leaks,everything seems fine.
Whats that valve under the turbo?how can i bypass it,sorry but there is a big learning curve i have to go through,i love my beast though!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:16 PM

sounds clogged up.... haha maybe a day of romping on it would help.... do diesels even get carbon buildup?
Old 01-06-2012, 04:14 PM

sooted then,lol
Old 01-06-2012, 05:20 PM

Where did you plumb in the gauge and how did you check for boost leaks? Did you plug the WG line back in or leave it plugged? 5psi under full throttle is way low. Especially with the WG plugged off. It should be around 15 - 18 at factory settings and shouldn't spike when you let off. The boost gauge I have only goes to 20 and when my WG is plugged it will easily peg it.

Be sure to inspect the air filter and impeller blades. I still can't grasp why it would spike when you let off.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM

well i t-ed the gauge right at the right nipple,on the turbo outlet to i/c pipes,not sure what you call those yet.,next to the map sensor nipple.I have a boost leack checker i built for my svo,it goes on the nose of the turbo and i hook air to it,regulated air of course,i had 30-40 lbs in it,and it ended up blowing my tested off the nose,twice,so there are no gross leaks i heard.Checked turbine,it has almost zero shaft play,bladed wernt dusted either,turbo looks to be in great shape.The boost dont matter if i have the wg plugged in or not,5lbs. I even removed the filter completly,no dice... help!!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Valve under the turbo is the EBPV valve. There's a sticky on how to disable it.

EBP sensors can cause issues, I know I replaced mine after it threw a code and it cleared up a bit.

Have you checked if there are any codes stored in history?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:42 PM

there were no codes-anything else i should check,how can i tell if my map or ebpv sensor is bad(besides it throwing a code)?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:45 PM

I bet the EBPV is closed. I been reading and reading to think of what it could be and that's all I got. It'll cause loss of power cause it is a butterfly valve in the turbo outlet meant to help the truck warm up. They can get stuck. Most unplug it and never report any different warm up times.
If you unplug it at the base of the pedestal and it doesn't move, you may have to pull it to fix it. PB blast it or WD40 the actuating rod before then though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.