start up/ shut down - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
start up/ shut down

Ok so I have always heard its hard or bad for a diesel to start up and shut down a lot, I do a lot of driving and usually when I get somewhere I know I'm going to only be a few minutes I leave the truck running, more in the winter then in the summer.

How bad is it to shut down after a short drive if the motor is still cold, also how long should I leave the truck running in the morning before driving it?

Also the rig is a 2002 f350 cclb drw 7.3l
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 06:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Does your engine enjoy being shut off when cold...no..will it destroy it..no. If you know your going to be doing a lot of short hops, keep the OCIs short (like 5k or so) and maybe look into a battery minder. Also plugging the truck in will help it get to operating temp faster.

Sometimes I grab a coffee on my way to work and Dunks is only about 2 miles from my house and I just shut it off.

On most mornings my truck has from when I finish turning the key to when I put the truck in drive to warm up. I am not much of an idling person and unless I have REALLY worked the truck hard, towing or plowing, I don't let it idle down when I shut it down either. I have done this for about 300k miles on two 7.3s and a 5.9 never had an issue.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

all diesels run and operate better when at operating temps...... I let my truck run about ten mins while im getting together my stuff for the day... I keep two keys with me at all times 1 in the truck ..... 1 in my pocket.... I leave the truck running and lock the door for short stops then unlock with secound key on short trips and stops.... never do i work my truck hard and kill the engine.... I always run my turbo minder for 10 mins after and it kills the engine when the time runs out.. That lets the oil cool down before the engine is shut down.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:31 PM

What about doing any damage to the actual engine block over time (i.e. Cracking or fatigue) from going from start to stop, cold to hot to cold???
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 PM

Naw. Won't matter.

I idle until EGT's read 300deg F or lower before shutting down. Idling for 10 minutes seems excessive.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EGTS have nothing to do with your oil temp. being high or hot for that matter.....
if you run hard pulling your oil temp is going to be hot!!! the longer you idle the cooler the oil gets.... why is that important... if you let your oil get hot while pulling and you just keep shutting the truck down you leave the oil temp hot and over time it will do damage to most bearings including the turbo bearings!!!! the turbo bearings get alot of abuse as it is. so we at fssdiesel.com suggest you run or truck long enoght to cool down those temps before shutting down.....My Question IS if heat and oil temp. is not important then why do they sell turbo timers?
Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Don't you worry about it

What about delivery trucks that are started and stopped a hundred or more times a day. i.e. UPS trucks
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
What about delivery trucks that are started and stopped a hundred or more times a day. i.e. UPS trucks
alot of the delivery trucks are left running depending on the area and if they are shut off they are restarted fairly quickly most of the times. When they are not started quickly after shutting it off that is when you see them in the shop alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.