02 Powerstroke no boost help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 Powerstroke no boost help

I have a 02 Powerstroke and it seamed underpower stock. I had it checked out and nobody could find any issues with it so i added a wicked wheel, TS 6 pos tuner, Airdog2, exhaust and intake to it yesterday and it still seams to be not running right. On the Edge CTS gauge monitor most boost i have seen is 7psi on #5 tune. I can tell it has a lot more power with the mods but i can only run the level #5 tune or lower. If i run #6 tune it just smokes and wont spool up and is boggy. EGTs on level#5 hit 1500 fairly easy. You guys have any suggestions as to what i need to be looking for or what sounds wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I might add that when we removed the turbo the wheel went in smooth and spun free with no shaft play. I have been looking all over for boost leaks and cant find any. I can hear the turbo spooling and working i just cant get over 7psi with the Edge CTS and i cant run #6 tune cause it just blows smoke and turbo wont lite up. Any help would be great.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just checked the Airdog pressure and it was at 59psi. I bumped it up to 65psi.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
You have serious boost issue somewhere.... EGT's should not be going above 1300* EVER. 1,200* is pushing it.

I would start by checking your intercooler boots and up pipes for soot (leaks).

Something is definitely wrong, IMHO.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree, ill go double check the boots and up pipes again right now.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok all i found was the linkage to the turbine side of the turbo that opens and shuts that exhaust flap was undone. I just bolted it back up. That wouldnt effect the turbo tho would it? Wouldnt the exhaust flap just stay open anyway?
Old 12-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you crawl under the truck with a flash light and check the uppipes for soot? Also might want to build a boost leak detector, cheap and easy just hit up lowes or home depot or some store like it. Also don't forget to check your boost line for kinks
Attached Thumbnails
02 Powerstroke no boost help-boost-leak.jpg  
Old 12-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea i need to make a boost leak detector for sure. Seams to be running alot better with the linkage fixed. Should i just take that exhaust flap out? Whats another couple really good mods i can do with what i already have?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gutting the pedestal and outlet is up to you, I have mine gutted but I live in Florida and almost never have the ebpv go off so I got rid of it. If your list is complete of what you have in your sig, I would look into getting a 6.0 trans cooler my temps dropped from 160-170 down to 120. Whats your plans for the truck?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Yeah, something is definitely wrong. Whoever looked at it should have at least been able to tell you that it wasn't right. I'd check everything out that people have said. Look at the up pipes for any signs of soot around them. Even with leaking up pipes most trucks will still make 15psi or so of boost.

I'd also monitor EBP readings. You shouldn't see over 32 psi of EBP ever. If it's higher then this then you have a exhaust restriction, like something with the EBPV flap.

What does MAP/boost read with key on engine off? You could have an issue with the MAP sensor. I'd check the hose going to the sensor. Try unplugging the electrical connector going to the MAP sensor then take a test drive. If it runs much better suspect the MAP sensor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.