What Batteries to buy? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Batteries to buy?

It's about that time again . . . last set I bought around 4 years ago and they are the Napa 860cca / 1040 ca batteries . . . they were good when new but i think they are past their life span now . . . the truck sits a lot and even though i use a battery tender they still seem to wear out early. Oh well . . .

What batteries do you guys recommend?? I want a high cold cranking amp battery . . . preferrably in the 900 range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 AM

People knock Interstate for some reason, but I've been very happy with them in my RV (RV-model batteries), and various vehicles. The Optima batteries aren't worth the money unless you're racing offroad or something crazy. Two 850CCA Interstates in my F-350 starts it easily in freezing weather.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Loving my Motorcraft 850CCA batteries. Outside of the 3 year free replacement, the prorate is a pretty good deal.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

yep hard to beat motorcrafts 90 month warranty
Old 12-28-2011, 11:54 AM

Just called Ford for the batteries . . . $19 core per battery and $119 per battery for 850cca's. He said it was a 36month warranty on the batteries then pro rated.

Probably going to go that route unless i find a higher cca battery at walmart. I'm pretty sure i saw one there that was 900 something cca's for $110.

Just ordered a new block heater cord also . . .
Old 12-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyR2 View Post
People knock Interstate for some reason, but I've been very happy with them in my RV (RV-model batteries), and various vehicles. The Optima batteries aren't worth the money unless you're racing offroad or something crazy. Two 850CCA Interstates in my F-350 starts it easily in freezing weather.
I half agree. The interstates are great batteries in my experience. Had one back in the day in my Jeep that was cracked and always had about an inch of the plates out of the electrolyte and still ran it for a year. Where I disagree is on the Optimas. Not sure of the CCA rating, but I dropped the cash on two yellow tops and haven't looked back. Right after I bought them I went on a 4 month deployment and didn't know my glovebox light wasn't turning off so they sat for 4 months dead, WITH a constant draw on them. Came home and threw the charger on em for a day and over a year later I haven't looked back. I also have a buddy that has had a red top in a Durango for going on 9 years now and still working fine. Just shy of 4 years of that was in Alaska with sub zero temps in the winter. Optimas are a solid choice although pricey in the yellow tops. May not be necessary for the OP, but good batteries nonetheless.
-Aaron
Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Govy Magnet

Optimas are nice, but worth it...in my opinion no. Duralast Golds are nice, and Sears' batteries I know are not bad. I'm running dual red-tops have already replaced one (free with warrantee) but I'm not as impressed as you should be with such pricey piece of equipment.
-Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.