My new '02 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 03:31 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My new '02

I had a '07 6.o that was short lived. Flipped it on the highway last winter after making 3 payments on it. Anyway, I just recently bought a 2002 Lariat 4 door long bed 4X4 with the 7.3/auto. This truck is in amazing shape! It's been kept in a heated barn since 2005 and has a maintenance record a mile long. Runs good, shifts good, and looks good. However it drifts a little on the road and I'm thinking one or more of the tires might be out of round, it seems to hop a little between 40 - 45mph. I read some of the suspension Threads on here and looking at the truck the inside edges of the front tires are worn so I suspect it needs an adjustment. Also maybe I'm looking at it funny, but the drivers side front tire looks like its leaning into the wheel well, How likely is it that top ball joint, or king pin or what ever the hell the technical term is, how likely is it that thing is causing the tire to lean in and possibly throw all of the other angles off? and how much of a job is it to replace that joint? I imagine the wheel, brakes, axle shaft and the steering knuckle will all have to be removed. Any tips or tricks would be cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How many miles are on it? Doing ball joints is definitely a job, but can also be done in your garage... And you're right, you've gotta pull the brakes, axle shaft, and steering knuckle. And you need a special tool to install the new axle seal. Do both the upper and lower ball joints on the same side at once. It makes zero sense to do just one, plus, you've gotta remove the lower to get at the upper anyways.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:08 PM

Smile

It has 129,510 miles on it right now. I also may have lucked out. The drivers side tire just looks crooked in my driveway. So I found some level ground and jacked up each tire and moved everything around. No play in anything, so I pulled a tape from the inside edges of the tires and found that I had 60 1/4" on the front and back inside edges of the front tires. So I adjusted the drag link till I had 60 1/8" on the front of the tires and 60 3/8" on the back side. Took it for a drive and it tracked straight as could be. No more wobble, and no more drifting. I'm happy now, might just wax this thing now.
Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If the ball joints haven't been done yet, it's probably getting close to needing it...
Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 AM

That might be a good project for spring. My K5 puked it's spider gears out of the rear end last month, and I'm a Chevy guy, so it takes priority.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:56 AM

New brake pads, Rotors, sway arm bushings, and a slight drag link adjustment took care of everything.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaairman View Post
If the ball joints haven't been done yet, it's probably getting close to needing it...
I have only done ball joints on two superdutys, mine at 300k miles and my brothers at 412k miles, so I would not change them unless I new they where bad. It is a tough job on these big trucks, but yes can be done in your garage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.