Plugging in block heater on '02 7.3 - is there a time limit ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Plugging in block heater on '02 7.3 - is there a time limit ?

I have an '02 F350 with 7.3 and approx. 104k miles. Unfortunately, I don't get to drive the truck daily - maybe 2-3 times per week. I'm always uncertain what nights I should plug it in because I don't know if it's going to be used the following day. Living in Pennsylvania in the winter months it can get pretty chilly at night in the winter. My truck runs / starts so much better and smoother after the block heater has been plugged in once the temps get below freezing. My question is - are there recommendations for how long you should / can leave a truck plugged in with the block heater ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

As far as I know you can leave it plugged in all the time it would only make your power bill get higher.
But if you leave it plugged in all the time it could also shorten the life of the heater.
What I do is if I am going to drive mine I plug it in 1-2 hours prior to starting it.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:20 PM

Get a timer to plug it in to if your worried. Set it so it comes on a couple hours before you would be leaving in the morning.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:06 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It cant really hurt anything other than the power bill. I dont know for sure how much power it really pulls. I havnt seen much of a difference in my bill and I plug it in whenever it drops below 40. I volunteer at an ambulance and cant wait for the truck to warm up before I take off for the call.

Which reminds me, our ambulance 97 powerstroke and it stays plugged in all winter long. 24/7. And it has never been worn out or replaced.

Food for thought.

Last edited by Schnot; 12-27-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

Use a timer. Ford recommends the truck being plugged in for 3hrs.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinaboy02powerstroke View Post
Use a timer. Ford recommends the truck being plugged in for 3hrs.
Any special timmer?
I know they claim the block heater is to be arround 1000 watts if I rember right.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:33 PM

You can leave the truck plugged in for as long as you want, I've left mine plugged in for days. The 3 hours is to warm it up. The heaters draw about 900-1000 watts.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgassel View Post
Any special timmer?
I know they claim the block heater is to be arround 1000 watts if I rember right.
Thats about 8 amps. I wouldn't skimp on it. I'd pick one up that is rated for 15-20 amps. Should be around $20-$30
Old 12-28-2011, 04:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've been curious to know what it will cost now that I'm plugging in. Hasn't even been a month yet. What's it usually cost a month to plug in every night ?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie6.0 View Post
I have an '02 F350 with 7.3 and approx. 104k miles. Unfortunately, I don't get to drive the truck daily - maybe 2-3 times per week. I'm always uncertain what nights I should plug it in because I don't know if it's going to be used the following day. Living in Pennsylvania in the winter months it can get pretty chilly at night in the winter. My truck runs / starts so much better and smoother after the block heater has been plugged in once the temps get below freezing. My question is - are there recommendations for how long you should / can leave a truck plugged in with the block heater ?
I have the exact same situation that you have. I don't drive my 7.3l everyday, I never know when the next time will be. Here in NM, winters are always below freezing and sometimes sub zero. I made a rule for myself, if its 20 degrees I plug it in over night, even if I don't drive the next day...it doesn't hurt anything except of course your electric bill. The block heater is 1,000 watts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.