Need 1999 7.3 PCM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need 1999 7.3 PCM

Help. Early 1999 F250 4x4, 6 speed manual died on me yesterday while on family vacation.(up from florida visiting family in NY) Superchips programer unable to communicate with PCM, tech guys at superchips advised PCM is more than likely shot. Any help with best fix/replacement, want to avoid local Ford dealer if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2011, 08:34 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by yatyas View Post
Help. Early 1999 F250 4x4, 6 speed manual died on me yesterday while on family vacation.(up from florida visiting family in NY) Superchips programer unable to communicate with PCM, tech guys at superchips advised PCM is more than likely shot. Any help with best fix/replacement, want to avoid local Ford dealer if possible.
Let's do a little trouble-shooting first.

First, is the WTS (Wait to Start) light going on/off like normal?

Have you checked all your fuses?

What are ALL the symptoms? Does it crank like normal, fast, slow, is there fuel in the fuel bowl? Fuel full? Oil good? Any smoke when cranking?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Banned

Old 12-26-2011, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

help

All fuses good, cranks fine perhaps a little slow to to a few start attempts, no smoke, not sure if I have wait to start light I just wait till the bells stop ringing(sorry) all other dash warnings working fine, fuel in bowl, can hear fuel pump pressurize when turning ignition on, oil right whereit should be. ICP and IPR replaced last year. I maintain this truck well and it has always been good to me. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

help

Fuel Just above half. filled it up about half way between pittsbugh and here no symptons prior to shut down, All electrical systems appear to normal.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

Ok... well, I believe on the 99 is actually says "Wait to Start" on it, the WTS light (Also Glow Plug Light) should come on the soon as the truck is turned on, and then it stays on for 10-30 seconds (depending on temp) and goes out. If the light is not working chances are you either have a bad fuse or a bad PCM. I would double check your fuses...And pull and load-test your batteries and connections.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Help

Thanks again, Will pull the batteries and load test at local parts store. Just not sure about wait to start. I drive similar vehicles at work and am familiar with the older glow plug lights and am positive I don't have a glow plug light just not positve about WTS. Thanks for you help and enjoy the holidays.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatyas View Post
Thanks again, Will pull the batteries and load test at local parts store. Just not sure about wait to start. I drive similar vehicles at work and am familiar with the older glow plug lights and am positive I don't have a glow plug light just not positve about WTS. Thanks for you help and enjoy the holidays.
Glow Plug light and WTS light are the same thing. If it's a Ford Diesel...It has one unless the bulb is physically blown/removed.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

he may have a little curley cue on the dash if it has a different cluster. I looked all over my dash for the wts light and the only thing that coresponded to mine was the curley cue. But my truck is a 02
Old 12-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgassel View Post
he may have a little curley cue on the dash if it has a different cluster. I looked all over my dash for the wts light and the only thing that coresponded to mine was the curley cue. But my truck is a 02
That's what mine has as well, but I believe that is only on the 02-03 years.... the older ones had a different dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.