Adding second fuel filter.....mistake? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Adding second fuel filter.....mistake?

It's been some time now, and I don't remember exactly who I talked to, or how old the thread is, but I remember hearing and/or reading that applying a secondary fuel filter to the 7.3L's, particulary the non OBS style, COULD do more harm than good.

Once again, I can't remember everything that was discussed, however I remember that certain folks were talking against it rather adamently, etc.

Any thoughts on this topic now? What could it hurt? If anything at all? I'm considering installing a heated secondary fuel filter/water separator with a clear sedimenter at the bottom to drain off water in the event that it catches any water in the fuel, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 02:08 PM

Not sure how they would be bad. What you should do is have a prepump filter for water sep. and then a post pump filter for high efficiency. Heated is not necessary as long as you take care of your fuel if it's going to be very cold.
Of course then you could do a bowl delete since the two other filters do a WAY better job.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:12 PM

Educate me on the post pump high efficiency thing......How does it make it more high efficiency? And does this mean I'd have a total of 3 pumps? Add one before the pump, then after the pump, then the filter already being in place (the stock engine mounted fuel filter)? For three total filters?
Old 12-25-2011, 02:18 PM

You have one pump. Under the driver seat, inside the frame rail.
A water sep. filter does that, separates the water from the diesel and also filters down to a certain micron rating, usually not very fine.
A post pump filter has a very fine micron rating and filters only since the water is already out.
A water sep filter can be pre pump or post, don't see why it matters. But a high eff. filter should be post pump because it's hard on the pump to PULL diesel through such a tight filter, but much easier to push through one.
Two filters like this are better than the stock filter. The stock filter is like having a donut and sushi shop in one. It might function, but it's not pretty.
Two dedicated units for their own job.
http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/Par...tnumber=BF1212
http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/Par...tnumber=BF1212
Not sure of micron ratings, but that's what most people run, or whatever brand cross they like.
Usually this accompanies a fuel system eliminating the stock fuel pick up assembly, larger suction lines, dual stock pumps or a bigger aftermarket pump, larger pressure lines to the heads which flow through then to a regulator and back to the tank and deleting the fuel bowl. Never seen it done without that.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by E'sStrokr01 View Post
Educate me on the post pump high efficiency thing......How does it make it more high efficiency? And does this mean I'd have a total of 3 pumps? Add one before the pump, then after the pump, then the filter already being in place (the stock engine mounted fuel filter)? For three total filters?
A pair of good links:

SpringerPop's Dahl Fuel Filter

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

The Baldwin BF1212 is 20 microns absolute (98.7% efficient) IIRC, the factory spec is 10 microns absolute with 93-96% water stripping. So it actually isn't a bad filter but not all cross references are created equal.

Good thread on it:

3rd Gen Popular Fuel Filter Data - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Old 12-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Premium Member

I am (and have been) running the Baldwin 1212 filter Pre pump with everything else stock (fuel system wise) for about 130k miles now. No ill effects I can tell (got 250k on my injector with no problems) and at least in my mind it let's me extend my stock filter drain/change intervals since it filters water and bigger particles. I do plan on a regulated return with the fuel bowl delete in the near future, but I say to for it. More filtration can't hurt as long as it still flows.
-Aaron
Old 12-27-2011, 09:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
I am (and have been) running the Baldwin 1212 filter Pre pump with everything else stock (fuel system wise) for about 130k miles now. No ill effects I can tell (got 250k on my injector with no problems) and at least in my mind it let's me extend my stock filter drain/change intervals since it filters water and bigger particles. I do plan on a regulated return with the fuel bowl delete in the near future, but I say to for it. More filtration can't hurt as long as it still flows.
-Aaron
I can't imagine the FS1212 or BF1212 would give you any trouble in flow, IIRC they can support 210 to 300 gph...way more than your PSD would EVER need!

Mind me asking, have you done the hutch or harpoon mods?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufushusky View Post
I can't imagine the FS1212 or BF1212 would give you any trouble in flow, IIRC they can support 210 to 300 gph...way more than your PSD would EVER need!

Mind me asking, have you done the hutch or harpoon mods?
I doubt there are any flow issues with the Baldwin BF1212 either. It was more of a general statement for additional filters.

I don't remember for sure which is which, but I think it is the Hutch mod that I have done. I added the filter when I modified the pick up and Pre pump lines to help keep air out. It was one of my first mods when I got the truck 5 years ago. I didn't however do the harpoon (If I remember which is which) that help fill the tank faster since mine will occasionally overflow on the big rig pumps. Decided it wasn't that big of a deal to me.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufushusky View Post
A pair of good links:

SpringerPop's Dahl Fuel Filter

Welcome to guzzle's In-tank Hutch Mod Web Page

The Baldwin BF1212 is 20 microns absolute (98.7% efficient) IIRC, the factory spec is 10 microns absolute with 93-96% water stripping. So it actually isn't a bad filter but not all cross references are created equal.

Good thread on it:

3rd Gen Popular Fuel Filter Data - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Springer Pop knows his stuff! I really appreciated his write up on an engine oil bypass filter. It has worked great for me.

As to the fuel filter, I have a Dahl 100 pre-pump filter which does a great job of separating water and junk from the fuel. The 2 micron filter lasts a long time because the housing is designed to let gravity do so much of the work. By the time the fuel goes through the 2 micron filter and makes it to the OEM 10 micron filter, I know the fuel is well filtered. Plus, too, the OEM filters now last forever. I monitor restriction on both by having a vacuum gauge t'd in between the Dahl 100 and the fuel pump. If vacuum rises beyond acceptable I know the Dahl is clogged. I have a pressure gauge on the inlet and outlet side of the OEM housing. Any pressure drop on the outlet side makes me aware that the OEM filter has become clogged.

I was first motivated to install the pre-pump filter after reading about people draining a couple teaspoons worth of water from the Dahl that the OEM water separator seemed to never capture.

When I first installed the pre-pump vacuum gauge I was immediately made aware of how pressing it was for me to do the Hutch mod. My in-tank screens on the fuel pick up were completely clogged.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:49 PM

OK. So help me out here and break this down for me. What is the bare minimum that is recommended? I'm asking in terms of everything fuel related? And when it's all said and done, is a fuel bowl delete included in this list? Or is it ok to leave the original fuel bowl? It looks like so far that lots of people like to leave the fuel bowl there. I'm the same way. I'd like to leave the fuel bowl setup just the way it is.

In fact, right now I've not really had any fuel issues (knock on wood), so I'm really hard pressed to do anything at all, but if I could capture some extra water in the fuel, I'd like to do that. And if I could maintain the proper fuel pressure with a better pump then I'd like to do that as well. Again right now I'm ok, and I've been running B-50 in the winter, and B-99 in the summer months. I know this thread wasn't started about running Biodiesel but since we're on the topic of fuel I thought it would help to put this in here.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think I've been getting some really good quality fuel to start with. And that may be why I've had some really good luck with my bone stock fuel system so far??? Our local Biodiesel supplier makes some really good ASTM grade fuel that I'm sure is filtered and de-watered really good to start with. I'm not sure that my truck (since I've owned it) has ever indulged in a lot of the "crap" fuel that lots of people have had the misfortune of getting......... Could this be a big part of the equation????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.