Southbend clutch already letting me down... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Southbend clutch already letting me down...

A couple of months ago I bought a Southbend clutch kit from xdp.com. Looked to be great quality, in the add it said it came with an "UPGRADED" kevlar pilot bushing. I had an ASE certified technician install it and it was great! Very soft pedal and great solid grab. I did the 200 mile city driving just like I was supposed to break it in and all was good. Untill just the other day (4,200 miles later) the pilot bushing started to go down hill, it engages right off the floor and draggs a bit. Just a little aggravated that somthing that was $600 and supposed to be "upgraded" is actually junk. Anyone else had a problem with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 02:36 PM

This is the clutch that I purchased

http://www.xtremediesel.com/southben...flywheel1.aspx
Old 12-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by $howtime View Post
A couple of months ago I bought a Southbend clutch kit from xdp.com. Looked to be great quality, in the add it said it came with an "UPGRADED" kevlar pilot bushing. I had an ASE certified technician install it and it was great! Very soft pedal and great solid grab. I did the 200 mile city driving just like I was supposed to break it in and all was good. Untill just the other day (4,200 miles later) the pilot bushing started to go down hill, it engages right off the floor and draggs a bit. Just a little aggravated that somthing that was $600 and supposed to be "upgraded" is actually junk. Anyone else had a problem with them?
I do not know how a pilot bushing draggs the pilot bushing is in the flywheel. I have never heard one dragging.
Are you sure the mechanic you hired to install the clutch actually did the job properly or even put in your clutch.

I know some mechanics are not as reptuble as others they see a 600 clutch they sell it to a buddy and put a junker in your vehicle.

Now I am not accusing your mechanic of anything just throwing it out there.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

What makes you think it is the pilot brg. The symptoms you are describing sounds like clutch fork or hydraulics failing.

Peter
Old 12-23-2011, 10:33 AM

Was the throwout bearing replaced with the clutch? If not, that could be causing a problem as well.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:20 AM

Hey guys sorry for the slow response, I'm sure you understand with the holidays and all. When I am above 50 mph and I slightly rest my foot on the clutch I can feel it vibrating. It is difficult to get into reverse and low, all other gears including first is easy as it gets. The pedal is still easy to push in and feels solid. It just engages right off the floor, not even a quarter inch. It has a brand new slave cylinder from ford. I bought the entire sealed unit that was pre bled so I didn't have that as problem factor. Thanks for the help, Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $howtime View Post
Hey guys sorry for the slow response, I'm sure you understand with the holidays and all. When I am above 50 mph and I slightly rest my foot on the clutch I can feel it vibrating. It is difficult to get into reverse and low, all other gears including first is easy as it gets. The pedal is still easy to push in and feels solid. It just engages right off the floor, not even a quarter inch. It has a brand new slave cylinder from ford. I bought the entire sealed unit that was pre bled so I didn't have that as problem factor. Thanks for the help, Merry Christmas!
Vibrations with your foot on the clutch is a throw out bearing problem maybe your mechanic did not replace it?

If you have a habit of resting your foot on the cluch pedal you the opperator are the issue.

Here pretty soon if you do not fix it you will alot more problems like no clutch, damage to the other clutch componets and other damages could result.

I have always replaced the throw out bearings even if they feel ok that way I can say hey I did a complete job.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:13 AM

I'd bet the bearing wasn't replaced.

I've also read in various posts that the kevlar bushings are no better than stock. The hot ticket is to have the flywheel bored for a larger diameter needle bearing pilot bearing setup. The gas trucks the farmers run around here all have bearings in the flywheels, not bushings.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 AM

Thanks a lot guys, I read around before asking. Always try and do my research before wasting space and members time. The symptoms I have are what others have had and pointed to the pilot bushing, others have said they dont like the kevlar bushing. I just had another member send me a link to the needle bearing and it looks like the way to go. So you guys think I could have problems with the throw out bearing? How big of a job is it?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:13 AM

Either way, the tranny will have to come out. After that, it's easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.