Duramax to Powerstroke??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Duramax to Powerstroke???

I have an 09 Sierra 4x4 CC with a duramax and debating about changing to a 00-02 7.3 f250. This is my 3rd duramax and I just don't pull my 5th wheel enough to justify this new of truck. Will I be happy with a 7.3 with mild mods( tuner/exhaust) or should I just keep mine? I haven't even driven a Ford yet but heard to not get the 6.0, always loved the looks of the 250. My fifth wheel is 38 ft long and about 12k. I know I'm asking a question from the competition, but just wanted some input from 7.3 owners. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Winning DUHHH

Id switch for the solid front end, and less electronics, It will pull that thing just fine.....although you will lose some of the ride quality and creature comforts of the Dmax. The 6.0L are wicked engines if you can allot about 4 grand into it. Thats my opinion
Old 12-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your biggest difference will be the performance difference. Exhaust, intake and a chip will sure wake it up, but it won't be quite the same as a tuner on a Duramax.

With that said, upgrades are cheaper, so you can always toss some more power into it to suite your needs.

I'd suggest taking one for a drive first, if you're happy with the ride and interior, then check out what power can be had with what budget or what simple upgrades.

As much as I like to recommend these great trucks, a person should know what their getting into first. Also to avoid the "this truck is crap compared to my old xxxxx" because someone didn't do their research. Some great info in the 6.0 section if you do want a newer/quicker truck. More than enough info to tell you exactly what the weak points and strong points are of the 6.0.

My $0.02, hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i love my 99.5 but im selling it due to haveing a baby and im buying another ford a 2012. my father in law just 5 grand into a 01 d max for pumps and injectors
Old 12-22-2011, 10:02 AM

Well you are way past the injector issues attributed to the Duramax with the truck your in.

Man tough call. If you want to get rid of a payment that's one thing, but you sure won't be getting any more power going to a 7.3. It will pull 12k no problem but you'll know it's there. Plus the Allison shifts like butter.

GM's ride great. Probably the best of any full sized truck and have the most comfortable interior IMO. But on the other side of the coin you have an emissions engine. More sensors and yada-yada that could go wrong down the road.

Depending on where you're out of, it may be difficult to find a 7.3 that isn't a rotten out, whooped out turd. Good ones are getting hard to find.

Any more input on why it is you want to get out of your current truck?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadiesel View Post
I have an 09 Sierra 4x4 CC with a duramax and debating about changing to a 00-02 7.3 f250. This is my 3rd duramax and I just don't pull my 5th wheel enough to justify this new of truck. Will I be happy with a 7.3 with mild mods( tuner/exhaust) or should I just keep mine? I haven't even driven a Ford yet but heard to not get the 6.0, always loved the looks of the 250. My fifth wheel is 38 ft long and about 12k. I know I'm asking a question from the competition, but just wanted some input from 7.3 owners. Thanks.
6.0 is a dang good engine if you take care of it and imo the interior is better then the newer dmax and the new interior on the 6.7 and new dmax arent even comparible. chevy interior is sub par and the exterior to me is not good looking either. if you get head studs put in the 6.0 motor, you cant break this things and it will hang with or even maybe out perform that dmax all day.
dont be scared of a 6.0 cause of what you heard, do some research in the 6.0 section and you will learn there not as bad as people say.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^^^^agree i love my 6.0
Old 12-22-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

I have an '01 F350 with the 7.3L, auto, crew cab, long box and 4x4. It's my DD and I pull my 31' 12klb 5er with it. Never been afraid to seat the king pin and go. One of the best trucks I've owned.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:07 AM

switching to a well taken care of 05-07 would be less dramatic IMO, no way I could go from something bought new a couple years ago to a 7.3. Go drive a newer 6.0 before you make up your mind
Old 12-22-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner21 View Post
switching to a well taken care of 05-07 would be less dramatic IMO, no way I could go from something bought new a couple years ago to a 7.3. Go drive a newer 6.0 before you make up your mind
^^^^ agree, the 05-07 exterior and interior is great looking and durable imo. the 07 6.0 had the least amount of warranty that year. it was a great truck and a lot of the problems were fixed by then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.