Auto trans fluid smells burnt- Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Auto trans fluid smells burnt- Help!

Hey all--
Trans in my '00 F350 has been shifting funny at WOT for the past few days... pulled the dipstick today, smells burnt. At the very least, I'll change the trans fluid and filter. Anyone had luck with the Lucas trans additive? I have in the past, in my, umm, "other brand" trucks (Chevy th350's, th400's) used the Lucas trans additive, and gotten more life out of a trans on it's way out.
My truck has about 149k on it, and was stock untill last night, I did the DIY air filter mod... WIX 46637 filer, one hose clamp, and a short section of 4" pipe.... wow, that was easy. Can hear the wastegate blow off now... how much sooner is my trans gonna bite the big one now that I have all this new found power? (OK, so maybe I can't really tell much, but it HAS to breath better now, 3 times more filter area!)
Thanks for any input...
Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Member/MARINE

Send a message via Yahoo to rajharley
Just my opinion. If it smells burnt, has never been rebuilt and has that many miles on it it is prolly gonna smoke check soon. Mine went out at 140K. My problem was that if I had taken it in to get it fixed sooner the cost of repairing it would have been alot less. All it really needed was a new torque converter. But because I waited the TQ self destructed and sent metal crap all through the system. THen it required a full tear down and rebuild with a new trans cooler (plugged by crap from TQ) and I added some upgrades like the shift kit. I would suggest taking it in and having it looked at before letting it go too far. The repair bill might be alot less that way. Good luck.

Oh and I do not know about yours but when mine went out there was not much warning. The day before my O/D light started flashing...the next day it crapped out taking off at an intersection.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:37 AM

I droped the truck off at the garage just a little bit ago. Trans fluid change to start with, and add Lucas trans-fix with it. I've seen no lights or warnings so far, just acting funny when shifting yesterday and today. Hope it's not to late.
Best options for rebuild/replace/repair, and sugjusted upgrades? I assume I need to be ready to put in a new one or rebuilt one soon.
Any idea what trans I should have? 4R100? or the other one? I'll look for a tag or other identifier when I get back to the truck.
Thanks....
Old 09-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Member/MARINE

it should be a 4R100. I have heard alot of guys on here getting thiers from Brian's Truck SHop. Supposedly they are pretty much bulletproof to 600hp. lilredpowerstrke had his trans crap out recently and I think that is where he got his new trans from. I want to say he was at about the $3900.00 mark for it. you might want to look up threads started by him to check it out.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 AM

WOW! $3900 for a trans? Geesh. how about a stock rebuild of the one I have? Maybe just a torqe converter? What are the signs of the T/C going bad? ouch, not ready for that much cash to be sunk into the truck.
Thanks for the info...
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Member/MARINE

you can get a really good TQ for btwn 500-1000. Then I would add the shift kit which is around $70 or so. the TQ's in these trucks is the weak link of the drivetrain as I know it from other opinions on this site.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The most important tranny accessory is a temp gauge and keep it below 220. I got a reman tranny from Ford for $2030 with 3yr 75k warranty, you can’t touch a rebuild or reman for less than $1500 even with a 6 month warranty.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
I've entertained the idea of putting stock back in for the trans, mainly for cost reasons alone. The idea to me is just dumb, in my personal opinion because no matter what you do you will just end up having to replace it again at a certain point in time, unless you're stock.

From what I'm lead to believe, the trans can handle power overstock so more than others, but at some point depending on how much wear, mileage, driving style, etc. etc. you are going to need something that can handle the power, mainly the torque I think.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:07 AM

Update:
The trans fluid change didn't do much... still shifting funny. I realized I didn't describe this to any of you, and maybe should.
What happens is this: It seems to be at the 2-3 shift at half to 3/4 throttle it just doesn't shift, redlines, tach spikes... let off the fuel, rpms drop, shifts, and lugs, 'cause now the trans hits 3rd, and sometimes right into 4th/OD. Doesn't seem to happen with the 3-4 shift, and 3rd and 4th gear both seem to pull ok.
After looking at my mileage log, I seem to have lost about 1 to 2 MPG over the past few weeks, although I have also added the utility bed, which gained the truck about 2500 lbs, to a curb lbs of 10K.
I have also had my mechanic look into some options, as follows. I can get a used trans with 91K on it, with 1 year/24K warrenty, and $200 core charge. I can get a re-man trans, to stock spec's, with 1 year/12K mile, $1200 core charge. Both come with labor and parts for that year. I won't go over the 12K mark, but would like to keep the old trans, rebuild it STRONG, and swap it out in a year or when ever the used trans goes out.
A reason for wanting to keep the extra trans is that my friend the bee man also just bought a early '99 F350 4x4 auto, same as mine only early
'99 vs my 2000 (late '99.5 style) It would be worth it to both of us to have a spare trans sitting here waiting.
Now a question: What are the signs of the tork converter going bad? Any of what I have discribed?
Thanks...
Old 09-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Member/MARINE

sounds like a torque converter ready to self destruct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.