truck wont shut off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck wont shut off

So i pull into work and turn my key off and take it out. The truck is still running.

My abs light and airbag light came on and all the gauges/radio shut off.

With the key in the ignition but off, I can still drive the truck, gears and throttle.

So I pulled the idm relay to Shut it off and my abs light and airbag light wouldn't go out.

The truck starts fine still, just won't Shut off or turn off.

So I Shut it down and unhooked my batteries.

Any ideas.? Could a faulty battery cause this issue because I have a battery that's bad and juat havnt replaced it yet...n

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 AM

i would say maybe your ignition has gone all wonky? dont think a bad batery would make it stay running.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:41 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Replace your ignition... Or whatever you call the thing you put your key in...my father in laws truck did the same thing. It also randomly engaged the starter, locked and unlocked the doors and the abs/radio stayed on too.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Its called an ignition cylinder. To replace it, the ones ive had to do. You have to get a drill bit and drill out the center of it. Eventually it will come out. The new one you simply push in.

But to me it seems weird that all the gauges are shutting down, but not the engine....
Old 12-13-2011, 11:00 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordsNFishin View Post
You have to get a drill bit and drill out the center of it. Eventually it will come out. The new one you simply push in.
WHOA! No,no,no, you don't have to drill anything....

Good pics on the removal ->

https://4656923915310766587-a-180274...attredirects=0

And yea, why would the rest of the truck shut-off I wonder? Also, if you can drive the truck with the key in the OFF position, why isn't the "wheel lock" engaged?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=NoRalPh;2801001]WHOA! No,no,no, you don't have to drill anything....

Thats just what you have to do on the other trucks i've done. But they are mainly older vehicles. Def dont quote me on these trucks as i have not done one.

That link you posted didnt work for me. Just curious what you do have to do to replace them in these?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:44 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The link didn't work? It's a redirect to a PDF (so, you would have to have Adobe) that was posted here by another member with lots of good info on his site.

https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt...nance-articles

I think you can click on "View" without having Adobe there..

Here's how it works though without the pics

Split the two halves of the column cover by removing the 3 long screws from underneath. From underneath, look up at the "barrel" the key cly rotates in and you should see a 1/4" hole, closer to the column, pointing down. Inside this hole is a sheet metal tab you need to depress. Rotate the key to the Run position, push the tab in with something, and draw it straight out.

Just be careful when reinstalling to have the key "indexed" to RUN and push it back in (the tab will click into that hole again)
Old 12-13-2011, 04:25 PM

On the older ones there is a little button you push in with a small screwdriver you never have to drill a ignition unless you do not have a key for the lock cylinder.

Please if you do not know what you are talking about do not offer your advise.
Please note I have taken locksmith classes so I know what I am talking about.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM

OK I have not replaced the ignition switch, but have had some developments...

I got home and pulled into the driveway, shut my key off and the truck shut off...... AWESOME!!!!
So I lock the truck and all that is on is my automatic headlights..

As soon as my auto headlights go out, i hear my dinger all my gauge lights come on, headlights come back on, and my radio turns on.....

So i start testing... Get in cycle the key to on then off.. and everything is off except for my auto headlights, so i cycle my headlights to off, parklights, and on.

Everytime everything would turn on, except for if my auto headlights were on. then everything just came on when they shut off.....

I think this may be related to an earlier problem...
When i got into the truck and shut the door, then turned on the truck.. Sometimes my radio and windows would not work until i opened and shut my door.

Someone on here said that it was my GEM. The truck hasnt done this in awihle and it was intermittent.

Does anyone think this could be my GEM, i dont want to just go replacing a bunch of stuff that I dont have the money for if possible...

Thanks again!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:44 PM

Hmmm. I am under the impression that the GEM controls things like the radio delay and domelight and stuff but not the ignition or to keep the truck running. Is there any type of aftermarket remote starter in there? And you would not have to replace the key cylinder but rather the switch that it turns on the column.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.