Optima Red Top install problems (AIS solution?) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Optima Red Top install problems (AIS solution?)

I swapped out my tired Motorcrafts for a set of Optima Red Tops tonight but it didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked. On the Optimas the posts are set in towards the center of the battery, unlike the Motorcrafts which have the posts set wide towards the edge. On the passenger side this means that the positive terminal sits ****eyed because of that little nub on the bottom of the junction block connected to the lug. I thought about cutting the thing off, but since the two cables are crimped to it I'd have to get in there with a disc grinder or something which I don't have.

On the drivers' side I had to notch out the battery tub cover in order to accommodate the close set terminals as well, but the positive terminal on that side didn't have a weird connection like the passenger side. In any event the batteries are great and I noticed an immediate improvement, but the install looks sloppy. I was thinking that on the drivers' side that I'd install a different intake in order to get around the sloppy look of the notched tub cover-does the AIS use this cover or does it get rid of it totally? If so it would be a great excuse to buy one! As for the passenger side I'm at a loss, so can anyone tell me what they did when they installed Optimas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 07:15 PM
COLLEGE KID

Send a message via AIM to lifewitlooie
bump bump bump
Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 PM

you can cut the battery clamps off the cable and get new ones from the autoparts store for 10 bucks or so that is what i would suggest. tell me how it goes thinkin of the swap myself
Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe I'll do a writeup on an Optima/AIS install.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 PM

the red top has the side posts too right? Take a picture to give a better view...my yellow tops work fine and no problemos. Try using those side posts though if you have them. The afe stg 2 intake has a nice battery hold down included that works good with the optimas.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 PM

I have the Optima red tops too, you're right kind of a pain!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 AM

So how did you get them to fit? Got any pics? I'm going to mess with it more tonight I think, but in the meantime I can't figure out why my truck still isn't cranking the way it should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnunya View Post
the red top has the side posts too right? Take a picture to give a better view...my yellow tops work fine and no problemos. Try using those side posts though if you have them. The afe stg 2 intake has a nice battery hold down included that works good with the optimas.
It does have side posts, but its a different style connector unfortunately. Its the kind that has a sort of ring terminal that you put a bolt through into the battery. Not like the clamp style lugs on the PSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.