Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HPOP 2002 F250 oil leak second failure!

7K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  MrJohnWayne 
#1 ·
2002 F250: Shop just replaced HPOP last year due to huge oil leak-pump working fine. Ford rebuilt. Friday started leaking quarts again, I am told by shop this newly rebuilt, 1.1 year old pump has also failed (out of ford warrenty-again, leaking but pumping fine!). Something about a snap ring. Is this common? Is there a repair for this, short of a new (rebuilt) ford $800 pump (plus labor)?:mad:

Thanks,

Steve

#3 ·
some forums you have to be a "tech" to post in.

as for you hpop failure it might just be a simple o-ring. I don't know if you can but I would try a second dealer and see what they say. 2 pumps in one year to me doesnt see very likely!

#8 ·
Martin,
If you find a 7.3 at junk yard, please let me know where it is!
I was looking for one for my 97, couldn't find one anywhere within 100 miles of me. No junk yard had anything for a 7.3, They all laughed at me.

#6 ·
Get up in there with a mirror and a flashlight, find exactly where its coming from, and post it here.
I'll look for my diagram in the meantime.
If it is not one of the three o-rings in the Ford TSB, then it could be the quick disconnect lines or fittings.
I third MrJohnWaynes post, if we can't help you, get a second opinion, your HPOP probably does NOT need to be replaced again!

Good Luck,

#9 ·
:roll1: :roll1: :roll1:

NO, seriously, thats a great idea!

#11 ·
That stinks that they are charging so much, but at least you found something, there may be hope for me in the future!

#12 ·
THanks for input. I should clarify, dealer PART, not dealer repair shop, although the owner was the local dealership service manager for 15 years. He had never see the TSB on this site, did not think the Oring could be ordered. He is ordering the kit, we shall see tomorrow, I will keep you all posted.

PS- the amount of oil this was suddenly started puking out was scary!-more oil per stop sign than my Miata holds....

Thanks,

Steve

#14 ·
PS- the amount of oil this was suddenly started puking out was scary!-more oil per stop sign than my Miata holds....

Steve
Classic Oring failure - you can get the Oring yourself for free or a few cents at autozone... I had an o ring go on me about a year ago - paid the dealer 27 bucks for their kit. I'm now smarter, and got a free oring from advanced auto this past weekend. When mine started leaking from the back.

#15 · (Edited)
Yes, yes he does! And I was sitting several feet away and it looked like water pouring out of his engine!!!! The best part was he just happened to have an extra O-ring in his toolbox!!! Took Marc 5-10 minutes to fix and boom, it was done! Needless to say I was impressed!

#16 ·
so has any body come up with the kit number becuase I have a 02 in my shop right now that the orings are leaking on and can not find the part dealer wants to sell reman pump thanks

#18 ·
Ok guys here is the PN for the oring kit from ford

2C3Z-9G804-AB

also as far as spares go I just picked up a kit from Fastenal. I don't know if y'all have any around you but you can order online. Ford is awful proud of those 3 orings. With this kit you have numerous sizes for different applications so it would be handy to have

1/8" to 1-1/2" O-Ring Hand Assortment Kit-30 popular sizes | Fastenal

I'll send a pm too incase you don't check back here.

#19 ·
Just curious - but what size is the HPOP o-ring?? and also, how much does Ford want for their 3?

#21 · (Edited)
OK-here is the skinney. The O-rings were NOT bad. Apparently there is an end-cap on the bottom of the pump which is the diameter of a paper coffee cup. THis endcap is held in by a snap ring. My snapring had come part way off, letting the endcap fall into the pump. THis allowed oil to pour out. THe shop pushed on the endcap where the snapring was still holding with a socket and rachet, forcing the part of endcap that had fallen into pump to pop back into place. Once back in place, they replaced the snap ring and spun it around grove to make sure it was on. This apperantly was the same failure as my last pump, but once it falls in, it is shot, as the o-ring and snap ring for the end cap are NOT available.

I am getting this all second hand from my mechanic, does it make sense?

The shop ended up not charging me for repair...

Thanks,

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.