Looking to Buy Powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking to Buy Powerstroke

Hello Folks, I'm looking to buy my first diesel powerstroke and need advice. What I'm looking for is a Ford F250 with less than 100,000 miles from 1997 to 2006. What should I look for in getting the best truck engine? What improvements were made over the years? What should I stay away from?

This will be a second vehicle used for fun and a little work. I will modify over time. I'm need gas mileage of at least 18 highway. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2007, 02:34 PM
COLLEGE KID

Send a message via AIM to lifewitlooie
get a NBS 7.3
Old 09-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

Welcome to the Site!
It really depends on the body style that you like. If you like the later models with the 6.0, be a little cautious with the 03 & 04 - early on some of them had issues. You can get OASIS reports run if you are interested in one (by becoming a premium member). That will give you the warranty history to see if it has had problems.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
First to the ORG!! Secondly this will get real biased real quick into 6.0 vs. 7.3 discusion. From what I have gathered the 6.0 get ya a little better fuel economy but the 7.3 is bulletproof with the exception of the CPS. So my suggestion would be to find the truck that ya like and go with it no matter what the motor. As long as the OASIS is relatively clean it shouldn't matter. Just my As far as fuel economy mine gets about 16 on the highway but that is with training wheels and a heavy foot.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

I get all around about 16 mpg. I have gotten almost 18 on the hiway. That ain't bad - because I had a 1986 F150 4x4 reg cab that only got 15 on the hiway. This PSD is a much bigger & heavier truck!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Welcome to Powerstroke.org
Old 09-04-2007, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm currently considering one of two; the first is a 1997 diesel extended cab with 78000 miles and the second is a 2000 F250 4X4 7.3 crew cab, with 69000 miles.

What would be the differences in engines between these two diesels? Would the 97 have a 7.3? I may do minor modifications to gain HP/torque if I buy. Thanks for the input, I'm looking to buy very soon.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:00 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven882 View Post
I'm currently considering one of two; the first is a 1997 diesel extended cab with 78000 miles and the second is a 2000 F250 4X4 7.3 crew cab, with 69000 miles.

What would be the differences in engines between these two diesels? Would the 97 have a 7.3? I may do minor modifications to gain HP/torque if I buy. Thanks for the input, I'm looking to buy very soon.
yepie that 97 would indeed have the 7.3, but it is not intercooled. They started putting factory air chargers on em when they changed body styles. Now thats not saying that you can't put an intercooler on a OBS 7.3. Lots of people have done it. There are a few more little differences between the 2 motors, but nothing huge. Someone else can probably explain the diffs a little better than i can. I personally have a 2001 F250 7.3 and get around 17.5 to 18.5 just drivin around. I got 12.5 towing a 5000lb boat. Those numbers are before i put on my exhaust so it should even be better but i haven't checked yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.