Dead #8 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dead #8 Cylinder

Well after months of trouble with the truck I purchased used in Feb. Found out today that the #8 cylinder is dead 225 psi. Definitely had the problem when I purchased it, just did not reveal itself to me until later. Live and learn...

So, I am looking for advice on what to do next?

Options I believe I have at this point, the truck is paid for. I paid 11K for it in feb of this year. Don't have the cash to do any kind of repair on it now, maybe next year.

Take truck to carmax and get what they will give me (only option I can act on now)
Get cylinders machined and put in slieves (cost?)
purchase a used motor and have it put in (from my understanding motor will run 4-5K)
purchase a reman and have it put in (complete reman including injectors 7500 with 2 year unlimmited warranty).

I can do alot of stuff mechanically to the truck, but this is way over my head so I will have to hire the work out.

Last edited by bwvick; 12-01-2011 at 08:56 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nobody has advice on this topic? Surely I am not the only one who has experienced a dead cylinder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
IMHO... If it's definitely dead... best option would be to find another engine and drop it it. Unless you can re-build it yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 12-01-2011, 09:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: hudson, fl
Posts: 2,883
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
not sure of the quality but I always run across the ad on ebay for 3995 reman motor installed. 7.3 Super Duty Rebuilt Powerstroke Diesel Engine | eBay This is it, I swear I saw it for 3995 on there like last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 12-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 755
Thanks: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellflage View Post
not sure of the quality but I always run across the ad on ebay for 3995 reman motor installed. 7.3 Super Duty Rebuilt Powerstroke Diesel Engine | eBay This is it, I swear I saw it for 3995 on there like last week.
There was another member of the org that used this guy. I can't find the thread though.

I have no experience at all with rebuilding a 7.3. But from what I've read and even remember a mod on here saying that once you open up the bottom end of a 7.3 it's life span is unpredictable. I would probably try and find a used one if it were me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 12-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: hudson, fl
Posts: 2,883
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxfever090 View Post
There was another member of the org that used this guy. I can't find the thread though.

I have no experience at all with rebuilding a 7.3. But from what I've read and even remember a mod on here saying that once you open up the bottom end of a 7.3 it's life span is unpredictable. I would probably try and find a used one if it were me.
Was the outcome good or bad from the other member, hate to be pointing people in this guys direction if its shoddy work, just remember running into the ad all the time on ebay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Akron/Canton, Ohio
Posts: 718
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvick View Post
Well after months of trouble with the truck I purchased used in Feb. Found out today that the #8 cylinder is dead 225 psi. Definitely had the problem when I purchased it, just did not reveal itself to me until later. Live and learn...

So, I am looking for advice on what to do next?

Options I believe I have at this point, the truck is paid for. I paid 11K for it in feb of this year. Don't have the cash to do any kind of repair on it now, maybe next year.

Take truck to carmax and get what they will give me (only option I can act on now)
Get cylinders machined and put in slieves (cost?)
purchase a used motor and have it put in (from my understanding motor will run 4-5K)
purchase a reman and have it put in (complete reman including injectors 7500 with 2 year unlimmited warranty).

I can do alot of stuff mechanically to the truck, but this is way over my head so I will have to hire the work out.
Having low compression in that cylinder could be from a number of things so I wouldn't just say it's the bottom end. How did you check the compression? Glow plug hole? Was it with a diesel compression checker? Could be a bad valve or a bad o-ring on the injector. If the whole cylinder chamber is not sealing the air correctly then you will get a low reading. It is not always from a bad piston or o-rings. My point is just take yer time in figuring out the problem exactly before dismissing the truck. 9 out of 10 times it is with the top end of the engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Not sure of the method, it was checked by a local shop that specializes in Diesels. I do know they took the valve covers off to do the test. Recently had injector o-rings put in and tried a known working #8 injector replacement. So I feel fairly confident it is not an injector problem.

The truck also has a ton of blowby, does that indicate a bad cylider? I found this video last night while doing some searching on #8 cylinder. My truck as just as much if not more blowby than this. And uses a good bit of oil.

And when fixing leaky turbo o-rings, saw that the compressor wheel fans on the turbo has some damage to it. Very similar to picture number 3 in this pdf...http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...argerGuide.pdf

Wish i could have found this site BEFORE purchasing this vehicle. All signs are pointing toward poor maintenance and sucking in dirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 12-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central Michigan
Posts: 755
Thanks: 7
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbellflage View Post
Was the outcome good or bad from the other member, hate to be pointing people in this guys direction if its shoddy work, just remember running into the ad all the time on ebay.
You know I don't remember and I looked again and can't find anything about it. I did see another suggest PowerStokePro but there aren't any specifics as to if he used them or not and I know exactly what you mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I emailed the guy that runs the ebay add: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices and Home yesterday asking for references and several other questions about the reman engine he is using and his process. Got back a reply that simply said "Not Interested!". Replied back asking what about my questions made him not interested? Anyway that option is out, and in my opinion that is not a good way to communicate with possible customer.

The guy at powerstokehelp has a youtube video advertising a rebuild for 5900:

But I know that there are some pretty strong opinions out there about him so I don't want to start another one of those threads. Based on what he is doing, 5900 seems like a reasonable price.

Got a quote yesterday from ford 6400 for a reman (complete with injectors, hpop, all censors, the whole 9 yards short of turbo), 7800 with turbo. Plus 1200 install. That is actually pretty tempting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors