What to look for when purchasing? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to look for when purchasing?

Hey everone,
New here and wanted to dive right in. I am actively looking for an 2000 to 2003 F250 CC 7.3. I wanted to ask a question about inspection which will help put my mind at ease when considering a truck this old.

My question is: When purchasing off of an independent lot and taking the vehicle to a Ford dealership for a pre-buy inspection, what should I have looked at or be asking. Will they do all that needs to be done without me suggesting certain things?

Many thanks in advance for any responses and I look forward to correspondance on many topics in the very near future. All of your knowledge is very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

See my post about a few minutes ago about purchasing a used truck that ended up having a dead #8 cylinder. Look very carefully at the air filter, the turbo wheel, and if I purchase another one I will have a compression test run first.

I would also check closely for any oil leaks and get them to diagnose where the leak is coming from. Come leaks can be fixed easily and cheaply, but mine had a leaky oil pan seal (that I did not fix because it was not too bad of a leak) which is very expensive because the motor has to come out.

I am sure others will chime in and if you do a search on the forum you will see many many other questions with answers just like yours.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:32 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Above^^^^ agree! Also make sure the oil pan isn't rusty. The can rust out and the don't change without the motor up.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 11-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How 'bout THIS -> What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Old 11-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Awesome! Thanks already guys! Right now I am looking at two. One a 2000 CC 4x4 Green and tan with a customized trim package. Several dings and some very small patches of surface rust (size of a nickel) on the very edge of the bottom of the doors. Probably normal.It has 155,900 miles and they are asking $15999.

The other is a 2003 two tone Grey over black lariat CC with Leather. Again 4x4 and I am awaiting closeup pictures and disclosure of any rust what so ever. This one has sparked my attention as it is a one owner with 125,500 miles and is listed for $1000 over book. It has not been chipped or altered at all according to the dealer. A big plus for me is that it is being sold through a Ford dealership comming in off of trade. Original owner trading in his '03 F250 on a new one really gets my juices flowing.

The first (green and tan) is listed on an independant lot with two previous owners before the lot bought it at auction.

So, I might be hopping on a flight to Millwaukee from Indianapolis International and flying in to look at the Grey one on Saturday so long as he reports no rust and in great condition along with good pics (better than the ones on the dealer website) Oh I forgot to mention that the carfax is perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
This is very helpful and will be making the trip with me!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:47 PM

I've got a charcoal over black F-250 and it's awesome. Not many with that color combo and I like the gray leather way better than tan. I get compliments on my truck all the time, but there aren't many good shape 7.3s in PA. Hope it works out and remember to check the inner lip of the doors and rear fenderwells for rust.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigmup View Post
Awesome! Thanks already guys! Right now I am looking at two. One a 2000 CC 4x4 Green and tan with a customized trim package. Several dings and some very small patches of surface rust (size of a nickel) on the very edge of the bottom of the doors. Probably normal.It has 155,900 miles and they are asking $15999.

The other is a 2003 two tone Grey over black lariat CC with Leather. Again 4x4 and I am awaiting closeup pictures and disclosure of any rust what so ever. This one has sparked my attention as it is a one owner with 125,500 miles and is listed for $1000 over book. It has not been chipped or altered at all according to the dealer. A big plus for me is that it is being sold through a Ford dealership comming in off of trade. Original owner trading in his '03 F250 on a new one really gets my juices flowing.

The first (green and tan) is listed on an independant lot with two previous owners before the lot bought it at auction.

So, I might be hopping on a flight to Millwaukee from Indianapolis International and flying in to look at the Grey one on Saturday so long as he reports no rust and in great condition along with good pics (better than the ones on the dealer website) Oh I forgot to mention that the carfax is perfect!

This is very helpful and will be making the trip with me!
You can test for compression really easily. Start truck. (preferably cold) Take the oil fill cap off, put it upside down on the oil fill tube. If it just vibrates around, you're good. If it lifts up, you've got bad compression. If any smoke comes out (some is fine, not a lot), watch it, see if it's a steady stream. If it's just "puffs" it could be one cylinder has bad compression.

IMO, they are a little high for the 2000. Like $2,000 high.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.