***Remote start conundrum*** - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
***Remote start conundrum***

Installed an Arctic start (Compustar brand) remote start/alarm on my E99 F250 7.3 & I'm having "starting issues". I've installed remote starts/alarms before so I'm sure everything is wired correctly. Problem doesn't happen all the time??? Had engine sensing wire connected to "tach" wire to instrument cluster & every thing was working. Alarm functions properly, truck would start up on first try after WTS (glow plug delay wire connected to WTS at instrument cluster) light goes out. Then it started "short cranking" would do that for the preset 3 tries quit. Would initiate "start" again & it would "short crank"again onceor twicethen start up. So I decided to wirethe"enginesensing"to the alternator wire instead of "tach" wire. My logic behind this is because the tach reads some RPM's when engine is turning over, so I assume the remote start may have sensed those readings & thought the truck had started. Truck ceased "short cranking" once wired to alternator & it would fire up on the first try. Then all of the sudden after two weeks it went back to not wanting to start up on first try. Would try 3 times then I hit the "start" button & after 1 or 2 tries it would fire up. So I decided to wire engine sensing wire to an injector wire. Worked for awhile now its going back to the not starting on first attempt again.

Any body have any ideas as to why it will not "fire up" on the first try? Temps haven't gotten below 28* since I installed alarm/remote start. I know glow plugs come on b/c I have an "LED" wired to GP relay to let me know when it goes out. Any help/suggestions would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have a viper remote start on my 00. When it fails to start on the first try it's usually because the voltage is dropping too low during startup due to a short commute. One of these days I will get around to fixing it.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It sounds strong when its trying to crank except on the third try??? I'll check voltage next time I try remote starting it. Wouldn't it not wanna start with the key also if it was voltage related, because it fires up just fine with the key.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does it only wait until the WTS light goes out before attempting? May need a longer delay. Mine does I just haven't got around to reprogramming it for slightly longer for when it is really cold.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, the sensing wire is hooked up to the WTS cluster light. I could wire it to the GPR LED I got inside so it waits till GPR clicks off. Dont think it would really matter thou. Reason I say that is b/c it can 55* & I just shut it down to go in grocery store for maybe 15mins & come back out to remote start it & it doesn't fire up, that's with engine still being warm. Other times it'll fire right up on first try??? Weird.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:15 AM

I was preparing to install this same unit (purchased from Sonic) today, but in the teeny tiny manual it states that you cannot do the diesel programming without their external programmer. Crap! Call to Sonic coming up...and a different unit.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

have you noticed any kind of pattern of when it doesnt start? the weak cranking makes sense for low voltage for a slow crank. maybe it doesnt start after short drives but starts fine after long ones?
Old 12-11-2011, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Installed a Powermaster Ultra Duty starter to turn engine over faster (since I can't program remote starter to crank for a preset time). So far starts on first attempt now (knock on wood).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.