starts with key in acc position - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 06:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
starts with key in acc position

Early 99 psd is acting up while on the road. Limited access with phone. Help much aprreciated.

Truck goes into park but doesn't feel right. Can hear a whine an well like something isn't fully engaged. Then truck turns over and starts as soon as key is turned on. Its only in the acc position. Im not getting to the start position. Works for now but scared to stop and let it cool off....don't think it'd start if glow plugs needed to energize
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 AM

Anybody know if the neutral safety switch could cause this
Old 11-26-2011, 11:31 AM

anyone know if the ignition switch would cause this? And/or what to look for
Old 11-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't understand your symptoms though.....

You put the key IN, as you go to start it you only get to the RUN position? Before the "spring loaded" START position? OR are you saying you have to rotate the key BACKWARDS to the ACC position OR is there an ACC position BEFORE the RUN position?

THEN what happens? (which ever position we're talking about...) the starter engages? BUT, Then, what do you do to turn the starter OFF so it doesn't crank into the running flywheel?

And no, the NSSW isn't involved. I would wonder if the starter relay (above the pass wheel well) is stuck but, then, the starter would be turning all the time...

Make things clearer as to exactly what's happening...
Old 11-26-2011, 02:08 PM

Sorry
Put key in turn forward only get to run position and it starts cranking. Truck started ok but was already hot. Starter seems to kick off and it runs ok other than the odd starting.

Doesnt seem to get all the way into park though. Can hear a humming sound like something isn't fully engaged or unengaged. Truck is in park when in park position but just doesn't feel right if that makes sense
Old 11-26-2011, 03:13 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
OK, well first I'm not sure, if it's in the same position it cranks/stops-cranking/& runs in, How that works. Does the Ign Sw "feel" normal? That is, does it do the "Spring Back" from the, normal, starting position properly? Can you even go there?

See, if there was just One position I would think you'd hear the starter running. So, maybe what's happening is that the Run and Start contacts in the switch aren't right (like it was bad) and you're not really aware of the subtle position change? I just can't make sense of it otherwise How would the starter be disengaging.....

As for the PRNDL, if the pawl in the trans engages (so it's not rolling) and Neutral is in "N" then, I'm not sure how it can be related. What do you mean by a "humming or whining"? Where is That coming from? The Trans? The Dash area? Under the hood?

I'm Sorry I'm having such a problem relating to your troubles, I can't envision any of it!

Last edited by NoRalPh; 11-26-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:21 PM

How many miles?
Sounds like the ign switch and the shift linkage are worn out.
There is a thread on here talking about tightening up the shift linkage.
I cant search on my phone right and also would like that info!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:00 PM

Both issues started at the same time so I believe them to be related but....let's start with the starting.

Put key in ignition
turn forward to on....as you would to energize glow plugs

Truck starts turning over as soon as key is moved. Never gets to the spring loaded start position.

Truck wil drive normal. Hope this helps its hard to explain and really hard to search.

Truck has 350000 on it. Would sometimes not engage starter and I would have to run shift lever from park to drive and back.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:16 PM

yeah it sounds like you need a new ignition switch. Very easy to replace. Just gotta go to your ford store and order one or maybe just pick one up and hopefully they can re key it for your exact ford key you have now. It took me maybe 3 mins to install my new ign switch after i had it at my place
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 PM

The key switch still has the "spring" in it. Just startsdoesn't cranking before it gets to that point. Do you think its the key part of the ignition or the box farther down on the column?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.