Want your guys opinions please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Want your guys opinions please

Hey guys, So I'm in the market for a diesel and I've found a nice 6.0l near by but with all the money that I'm going to need to put into it I think it'll be best if I stick with the reliable and proven 7.3. I found 2 trucks that fit what I want but I'm not sure which one would be a better buy so I want your guy's opinions. My dad thinks the first one has too many miles on for the year, and he thinks the second one is too far as He doesn't want to drive or fly down to look at it if it's bad. I would prefer a crew cab short bed thats mildly lifted, but an ext cab long bed wouldn't be too bad either. Which truck do you guys think would be a better buy?

Truck 1:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2686539797.html
He's had the majority of front end parts replaced, he's not sure if the axles are re-geared but judging from the mpg he gets it doesn't seem like it. I would prefer a crew cab short bed so I'm leaning a little more towards this one.

Truck 2:
Ford F350 Diesel Navistar 7.3 4x4 Lifted 126k miles
This one we have to fly down too and it's a little too high for me. I like the look of it but I think its just too high. (That can always be fixed though.) He claims to get outrageous mpg which I know is completely false. Its got the lower mileage but the height of the truck and also the distance to look at it is pretty far.

Which truck do you guys think would be a wiser investment? I like both trucks, but I'm just not sure which would be a better buy. I really appreciate all the input and feedback. Oh ya. HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY guys! Happy Holidays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2011, 10:54 AM

Well I can tell you 180k is just a drop in the bucket for a well-maintained 7.3, so don't let that scare you away assuming it's been cared for. With that said, I wouldn't buy a lifted truck, just because you don't know who did the lift, how well they did the work, and what kind of hell that truck may have been through during its life. If you do your homework you may be ok, but on that second truck, he's about double on his highway mileage estimate, expect about 14-16 on a truck that tall with big tires. There are plenty of nice trucks out there well within your price range there, just be patient and make sure the owner has maintained the rig, especially the coolant. If you ask them about coolant additive and cavitation and they just give you a funny look, turn around and walk away.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:45 PM

With the truck that has 180k on it. What exactly should I look for if I go to check it out? He said he's replaced the ball joints, and front axle bearings replaced as well. I'm some what knowledgeable about what to look at and what to inspect, but I'm not too sure what to look for. I've been told to check the rear end but how would I do that exactly? I'll hopefully be able to bring a code reader but not sure about that yet. So what exactly should I look for on that truck so I know everything is all set and tight? (Truck 1).
Old 11-24-2011, 08:12 PM

The coolant is a huge one on these trucks, that along with oil is probably the most important thing to check for engine longevity. Check into the transmission if it's an auto, at 180k if you have the original one, expect to replace that some time in the future. Check for any fluid leaks, including around the axles, check the blow by at the oil filler when the engine is running by turning the cap over and ensuring it doesn't blow off.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:56 AM

IMO out of the two i vote for truck 1.
IMHO I look for STOCK trucks that are more likely not abused. Then do the mods that i want done.
This is for the same reason JEL stated. I dont like trying to figure out what the guy before me has done to the vehicle. My general rule...Dont buy someone elses toy!

Something else to look for is "dusting" in the turbo untack hose. It only takes a second to pull the hose off. Also, pay attention to what color and smell of smoke comes out of exhaust at start up. That is if it smokes at all.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:58 AM

The main reason I'm looking for a truck thats already lifted, I know it could and probably was beat on, but I dont really have the time or money to put a lift and tires on as I need a car 7 days a week for my job and school. What is "dusting"? Just dust and crap in the hose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.