Got to try the truck out! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 05:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got to try the truck out!

Well, I finally got to see what my truck could do, and I guess I was a litte disapointed, being that I used to be a chevyman. I guess I expected too much. I thought a 7.3 would walk the dog with my 28 foot camper. Meaning that it would go up any hill at 70 mph. I would usually hit them about 70 and at the top be about 55-60. Also, my truck has quite a few mods on it: Banks transcommand, Banks exhaust, Banks big head wastegate, Edge ez, leveling kit, 315 bfg's,zoodad, DIY intake, and ccv mod. I didn't really push it hard, since I have yet to install gauges, but maybe you can fill me in if this is normal. Could the bogging down up hills be the 35 BFG's, this is what I believe. I will very soon be putting 285's on it. They will make the truck drive better and get rid of that big tire feel. Also when my truck would go from about 2500 rpms down to 1900 rpm it would make a shuttering noise. But, believe it or not, it seemed to go away after about an hour of highway driving. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Got to try the truck out!-finished-f-350-005.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2007, 06:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i tow a 26' toy hauler runnin 38's and 11" lift. it is the 6.0 motor but i also had the 7.3 and towed the same camper. you shouldnt have any problems losing speed up hill unless it was a steep grade hill. how heavy is your trailer and is it shifting into drive when you hit the hill? you DEFINATELY NEED GUAGES tho. i've melted my turbo on my old 7.3 towing. i did have guages but my wife was driving and i was sleeping but what ya gonna do. you want to try to keep the egt's onder 1000 degrees when towing. if it gets to high, shift into drive.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Strokin' In Dixie-Land

Seems like you should have more power. What about fuel filters? Fuel pressure? Air flow (filter)? Shuddering - I'm not sure - Tranny/torque converter/u-joints? CPS going bad?

Last edited by Big AL; 09-03-2007 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:00 AM
IU Hoosier Fan

have no clue about the shuddering noise... but what size of gear do you have?? well also I would also check out to see if all clamps are tight around the turbo to make sure you don't no boost leak.... I would think that if there was a leak that you probally would hear a sound like that if the gap or whole would be big enough...
Old 09-03-2007, 08:51 AM

The camper weighs around 6500 unloaded-7000 lbs loaded.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:55 AM

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
i drag around a 8000lb car trailer (loaded)with my 7.3 and i usually can accelerate goin up hills makes people look when their cars are comming out of o/d due to the grade of the hill and i pull out and pass them with a trailer..and a big smile
Old 09-03-2007, 08:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to jngreen
the shuttering sound you hear is prolly turbo surge......

my recommendation is to get some custom tunes after installing a set of guages, get rid of the edge module and any other power adder you have, and then you will have to get a wicked wheel or ATS housing to fix the surge. Tire size will affect pulling performance, but with custom tunes the 35's won't be a problem pulling the camper.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:59 AM

your camper isnt that heavy. you shouldnt have any problem. mine is 7500 pds dry and 10,000 when fully loaded. i am runnin stock 3.73 gears but gonna upgrade to 5.13's just to take some stress off the motor and trans.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Is it even worth it???

Send a message via AIM to ABOBB Send a message via Yahoo to ABOBB
Hey John.. was great to meet you and Justin.

You may be onto something with the tires. Rubber that larger, with possible 3.73 gears would really make a difference. If you change and like the smaller ones.. hang on to those big BFGs... I probably know some pullers who would like to have them.

BTW... bugshield is already on the truck (even if it's not going anywhere soon) and looks great.. thanks guys.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:23 PM

I'm going to put 285's on it and then take it to a trusted diesel tuner mechanic. Then I will go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.