Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Towing and my transmission

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  alabamafrog 
#1 · (Edited)
well for my automatic transmission iv always been under the impression that 170-180*F was ok but then i heard 150 was the max, it should never go over.... in that case then im here to ask the question what and how is the best way to reduce temps. im looking at a trans flush this week since temps went to 200*F while traveling any wheres from 75mph flat to a slow and steady decrease to 55mph (gracfuly not tryingto keep 75mph up steady grades) i have never had much time to look around on a few sites but now adays thers more chip and programer addvertise then any redime products to solve the head aches that come with the "so now uv got the chip" ordeal any help would be great and im sure i can return the favor in the future

#2 ·
200 is ok no need to flush fluid unless it smells burnt. 230 is about max temp.

you can pretty much expect your temps to be 90-100 degrees above the outside air temp

#3 ·
150 degrees??!! If that was the max than I would be in serious trouble lol. I always heard 220 and pull over and let it cooldown.

#4 ·
txs guys i guess i have "babied" my truck then... max i have ever been up to is 210. thanks for the info guys

#5 ·
230 pull over
200 entering red zone
180 is fine
150 is great

all temps are dependent upon outside temperature. If ambient air is 100* and you're running 190* there isn't much you can do... you're going to run 80-100 degree's above ambient temps.

#6 ·
I agree with the numbers above, mine usually runs less than 140 on 100 degree days unless I have the AC on and towing and in traffic, then it may get to 180. I have 2- 40K trucool coolers in series. They are about $120 each.

#7 ·
Is there a standard place for the trans temp sending unit? I'm new to these trucks, and would like to know if there is a "stock" location, such as a threaded plug, just a matter of threading in the sending unit? Also, if locations differ, is it possible that's the reason for a fluctuation or lower readings in 'LilGuy's' truck? I've never had a trans temp gauge on anything, (it will be one of the first I add to my new(er) F350) but it would seem to me the lower temps would be ab-normal, or just the sending unit getting it's info from a cooler location in the trans.
Just my thoughts, I'm new here... thanks for your time!

#8 ·
Yeh there is a port in the side - it's just a plug you un screw.

It's on the side of the tranny, forward the black box with wiring, on the driver side.

If you come to the North carolina meet and greet - I'm sure we could get gauges installed no problem!

#9 ·
well i was thinking the same Dieselcrawler, i have and edge old style evolution thats where i get my temps off since my att & juice dont display it :mad:
i too was woundering where that wire or sensor might be when i get time ill have to look throught m haynes book if it in there.
but for me .... id like to find a digital read out.

#11 ·
Be carefull with the temp sending units in the test port. Make 100% certain it is not too long or large in diameter. Mine was jamed in and broke. It had to be removed with and eazy-out tool. My guages are Autometer and they do make a shorter sender, ask for it.

My tranny is suspect too at 65k miles. When it gets warm, 190-210, it does not want to up shift and will run near redline until I can force it to shift up. This is usually around 35 mph or so. I also have started to hear a new fan noise when I get above a certain temp, and I assume it is a aux cooler?

Anyways, I am going to have a kit and new torque convert installed, along with either larger pan, and or bigger cooler.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Trannsmission cooler, or you can get a transmission cooler with electric fan on it. That is the best way to keep that trans cool.

#14 ·
I love my trucool 40k coolers, it made a very big difference when I installed it so when I had to replace the factory cooler for the new tranny warranty I installed another one in its place. What I am saying is you can get the Trucool 40k cooler in two configurations, either a plain rectangular one you can mount anywhere or the one that fits in place of the factory one with the fancy brackets. I hear that one is the same one that goes on the factory V-10 trucks. Both are around $120 and work great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.