Dex-cool in 2000 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dex-cool in 2000 7.3

My water pump went out about 2000 mi ago, so I decided to save myself a few hundred dollars and change it myself. That went fine. The problem is that the guy at NAPA sold me zerex dex-cool w/ my water pump. I questioned him because the color change made me leery. He assured me it was the right stuff. I should have done the research then, but I didn't. How long does it take for this stuff to do damage? I plan on doing a flush and using an ELC. Am I ok for a few hundred miles? Thanks for your help and I apologize if these questions are answered in another thread.
Efd316 is offline  
post #2 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
I would do the flush ASAP, and I'd add a cleaner in the early stages of the flush, too.
ToMang07 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
ToMang07 is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 07:52 AM
SyN
Lubrication Addict
 
SyN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tornado Alley!
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EFD: I agree with ToMan... I have no idea how long you can drive without damage if any damage will actually occur... But You do need to flush ASAP...

Now that you have learned your leason.... Never listen to these folks who work within these auto parts stores... Very few know anything about fluids for autos.... Esp fluids for diesel trucks... I have 4 of these parts stores within the small town that I live in and not one actually stocks ELC coolant ... I kid you not.... They only stock their store brand and Prestone----> Which is ALL Dex-Clone Coolant... There are hundreds of diesel customers putting this crap into their $40K to $60K diesel pickups... Granted Chevy calls for this coolant in the Duramax... I really have no clue what cummis calls for...

I went in and asked in every store---->Do you sell CAT-EC1 ELC for diesels? And everyone of the so called salesman, Just looked at me... What did You just say? I had to repeat myself 2 times... Even the store mgr had not any idea what I was asking for...

Luckly we have a large shell truck stop that stocks Peak Final Charge... Anyway...

Do a flush as soon as you can... I'm sure it won't do any damage in a short time... My wife's oil field company she works for employees 21 09 F250 PSD and they buy their coolant in 55gal drums...&...It is labled Prestone... I tryed to tell them about the correct coolant but they just laughed... Most of their trucks have over 100K on them by now... As far as I know... They have only had a few problems with radiator leaks...Which I think was a Ford Recall to begin with...

01F250-4WD-XLT-AUTO-CC-7.3L-{295K} Miles
Donaldson AIS Intake System w/Zoodad
4''Turbo Back MBRP Exhaust
Remote Spin-on Coolant Filter/Red {ELC}&RMI-25
Remote Spin-on Transmission Filter/Lg Magnet
203*F T-Stat w/Billet Housing
CCV Re-route
SS HPX Line
Many Other Small Mods
---------------------------------------------------
Oil-------->T6 w/Amsoil Filter & Lg Magnet
AMSOIL-------->Every where else

Last edited by SyN; 11-23-2011 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Hmmm! Worry about Something Else!
SyN is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyN View Post
EFD: I agree with ToMan... I have no idea how long you can drive without damage if any damage will actually occur... But You do need to flush ASAP...

Now that you have learned your leason.... Never listen to these folks who work within these auto parts stores... Very few know anything about fluids for autos.... Esp fluids for diesel trucks... I have 4 of these parts stores within the small town that I live in and not one actually stocks ELC coolant ... I kid you not.... They only stock their store brand and Prestone----> Which is ALL Dex-Clone Coolant... There are hundreds of diesel customers putting this crap into their $40K to $60K diesel pickups... Granted Chevy calls for this coolant in the Duramax... I really have no clue what cummis calls for...

I went in and asked in every store---->Do you sell CAT-EC1 ELC for diesels? And everyone of the so called salesman, Just looked at me... What did You just say? I had to repeat myself 2 times... Even the store mgr had not any idea what I was asking for...

Luckly we have a large shell truck stop that stocks Peak Final Charge... Anyway...

Do a flush as soon as you can... I'm sure it won't do any damage in a short time... My wife's oil field company she works for employees 21 09 F250 PSD and they buy their coolant in 55gal drums...&...It is labled Prestone... I tryed to tell them about the correct coolant but they just laughed... Most of their trucks have over 100K on them by now... As far as I know... They have only had a few problems with radiator leaks...
Cummins use the same ELC coolant we do, the CAT EC-1 Rated HD Diesel Coolant. And I had similar issues when trying to get coolant, lots of wanna-be know-it-alls working in auto parts stores. Do your own research.

Last edited by ToMang07; 11-23-2011 at 08:55 AM.
ToMang07 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 08:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walpole, MA
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
Cummins use the same coolant we do, the CAT EC-1 Rated HD Diesel Coolant. And I had similar issues when trying to get coolant, lots of wanna-be know-it-alls working in auto parts stores. Do your own research.
Which cummins engines are you referring to? The ISB in the dodges? If so the 03+ CR engines got a HOAT based ELC basically the same thing as MC Gold but pink. Most people run Zerex G-05 in them, same thing (IIRC all HOAT coolants are made by BASF) just cheaper. The industrial application get Fleetguard Compleat, a oat based that meets Cummins 14603 (Cummins ELC spec).

Prior to 02 the Dodge engines came with conventional green coolant IIRC, unsure on the industrial apps. I know Cummins was the last to jump on the ELC band wagon due to seal issues.

2002 F-350 4X4 ECLB 7.3 4R100 6637 filter w/ RiffRaff cover, 08 diff cover, 203* T-stat, HPX, Stancor Relay, 6.0 trans cooler, Zone leveling kit, 8'6" Western Ultramount
Sold: 04.5 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 CTD, Reg Cab, 48re
rufushusky is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufushusky View Post
Which cummins engines are you referring to? The ISB in the dodges? If so the 03+ CR engines got a HOAT based ELC basically the same thing as MC Gold but pink. Most people run Zerex G-05 in them, same thing (IIRC all HOAT coolants are made by BASF) just cheaper. The industrial application get Fleetguard Compleat, a oat based that meets Cummins 14603 (Cummins ELC spec).

Prior to 02 the Dodge engines came with conventional green coolant IIRC, unsure on the industrial apps. I know Cummins was the last to jump on the ELC band wagon due to seal issues.
I should have mentioned I was referring to ELC... as that is what I am using.
ToMang07 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Walpole, MA
Posts: 1,547
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Thanks: 1
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efd316 View Post
My water pump went out about 2000 mi ago, so I decided to save myself a few hundred dollars and change it myself. That went fine. The problem is that the guy at NAPA sold me zerex dex-cool w/ my water pump. I questioned him because the color change made me leery. He assured me it was the right stuff. I should have done the research then, but I didn't. How long does it take for this stuff to do damage? I plan on doing a flush and using an ELC. Am I ok for a few hundred miles? Thanks for your help and I apologize if these questions are answered in another thread.
Zerex Dex-cool might work fine or it could cause issues I really have no solid idea. I know the big problem with Dex-Cool was it eats plastic for breakfast. To be safe I would get it out of there ASAP, ask for Zerex ELC or G-05...ELC is the better of the two but any NAPA should be able to get their hands on it. Or go to a Cat dealer..they for sure with have ELC...just make sure your check book is ready.

Caterpillar Dealer Locator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
I should have mentioned I was referring to ELC... as that is what I am using.
Gotcha.

2002 F-350 4X4 ECLB 7.3 4R100 6637 filter w/ RiffRaff cover, 08 diff cover, 203* T-stat, HPX, Stancor Relay, 6.0 trans cooler, Zone leveling kit, 8'6" Western Ultramount
Sold: 04.5 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 CTD, Reg Cab, 48re
rufushusky is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07



ToMang07 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 11-23-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I just bought the zerex stuff in the pic from NAPA. I have all the stuff to do the flush, I just don't have the time. I have to do a 300 mile trip. As soon as I get back from that I will do the flush. I have definitely learned my lesson. Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I haven't done to much damage already.

Thanks,

Andy
Efd316 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome